UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Oct 2010, 4:35 pm   #1
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Ekco U332

I have been given this EKCO U332, it had been stored for a long time and the person that gave it to me said he had plugged it in and it worked As it had already been run up I also plugged it in and sure enough it works loud and clear on both wavebands with good sensitivity on its internal ferrite aerial. The switch will need cleaning along with the case which is in good condition otherwise. The inside is dry and dusty and the dropper looks as good as new. The only things missing are the screws holding the back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ek1.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	41575   Click image for larger version

Name:	ek2.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	41576  
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:16 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Ekco U332

Check the output valve grid for +ve volts at the very least.

If it seems to work well now, think how much better it'll be without all those 'orrible 'unts
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:18 pm   #3
JoshWard
Octode

Pretty little set, that's the version I wanted but I saw this later one at an NVCF for £4 and couldn't resist.

The Ferranti equivalent is the U1015.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	332.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	41592  
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:27 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Post Re: Ekco U332

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
Check the output valve grid for +ve volts at the very least.
If it seems to work well now, think how much better it'll be without all those 'orrible 'unts
Yes Paul I will be hunting down any Hunts, the O/P is an UCL82. Gets by on three main valves by using multi types UCH81 UBF89 with EY85 rec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshWard View Post
Pretty little set, that's the version I wanted but I saw this later one at an NVCF for £4 and couldn't resist.

The Ferranti equivalent is the U1015.
Your set looks very smart Josh and a later one by its more modern appearance, thanks for the Ferranti equivalent tip.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:30 pm   #5
JoshWard
Octode

Don't be deceived, there are some cracks in the cabinet sadly although not noticeable when on a shelf surrounded by other sets!

The cabinets and trim were also used in the Ekco A455, Ferranti A1149 and Pye P1113 transistor table sets. I've got the Ekco and Ferranti ones but can't get to them at the moment.

A simple pretty design IMHO.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:42 pm   #6
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Don't be deceived, there are some cracks in the cabinet sadly although not noticeable when on a shelf surrounded by other sets!
A simple pretty design IMHO.
The cracks could be filled, there are plenty of good filler products around. I thought I had seen similar designs with Pye and the like. It is a nice size with a good sized speaker to give it a pleasant sound. The control knobs are similar to my Bush TR90 car radio style portable.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:49 pm   #7
paulsherwin

As this is a fairly late set it may be fitted with ceramic or plastic film caps rather than the dreaded Mouldseals, so you may be lucky.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 5:52 pm   #8
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

That's very interesting. I've never seen an ac/dc set with an extention loudspeaker socket.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 6:25 pm   #9
JoshWard
Octode

Hi Geof, I would fill them and respray the cabinet but the rest is in good condition so it would be a shame to alter it in my opinion. The damage can't be seen so it doesn't bother me.

I seem to recall mine having a few waxies and mouldseals but also one or two ceramic disc caps which stayed. They do sound surprisingly good considering their small number of valves. Shame there's no nice scale lamp (could always fit an LED in I guess....)
Old 18th Oct 2010, 6:26 pm   #10
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
As this is a fairly late set it may be fitted with ceramic or plastic film caps rather than the dreaded Mouldseals, so you may be lucky.
I hope so Paul, it works very well even though it hadn't been switched on for a long time. First job will be to take the back off and give it a clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
That's very interesting. I've never seen an ac/dc set with an extention loudspeaker socket.
Be interesting to see how this is done Dave, the output transformer secondary must be fully isolated. I will report back my findings, I haven't been able to find a schematic for it so far.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 6:31 pm   #11
JoshWard
Octode

My O/P transformer on the Ferranti had an earth wire fitted to it where it then goes off to the ext L/S socket.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 7:33 pm   #12
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Hi Geof, I would fill them and respray the cabinet but the rest is in good condition so it would be a shame to alter it in my opinion. The damage can't be seen so it doesn't bother me.

IShame there's no nice scale lamp (could always fit an LED in I guess....)
I like to keep the case as original as possible as well, so if it still looks ok it is best to leave it. I was wondering about the lack of scale lamp as I don't have any technical details of the set. If the extension speaker was earthed on one side in the Ferranti the earth must be to ground the secondary and the frame of the speaker in isolation from the live chassis.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 7:43 pm   #13
paulsherwin

Most low priced Ekcos of the 1950s don't have a scale lamp.
Old 18th Oct 2010, 10:15 pm   #14
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
My O/P transformer on the Ferranti had an earth wire fitted to it where it then goes off to the ext L/S socket.
If the O/P TX secondary is floating (no negfeedback or chassis connections and one side is taken to mains earth then connecting an external speaker to it should be safe enough. Probably best to have as small a value fuse in the plug as will work the set, too.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Oct 2010, 9:19 am   #15
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Most low priced Ekcos of the 1950s don't have a scale lamp.
Probably softening people up to portable transistor sets with no panel light. The O/P UCL82 does light up rather alarmingly when first switching on, a panel lamp in the heater chain might have prevented this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
If the O/P TX secondary is floating (no negfeedback or chassis connections .
As this might have been bought as a second set it does seem a bit pointless having an extension speaker socket, might have been a selling point though. Even the external aerial socket isn't really needed because of the internal ferrite, but buyers of the time needed the reassurance that their long wire of earlier radios would still be usable.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 10:47 am   #16
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofy View Post
I haven't been able to find a schematic for it so far.
http://www.service-data.com/section.php/2198/1

If you have RT&S its in 1959-1960 page 73
Old 19th Oct 2010, 10:54 am   #17
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks, I am not sure if the service data includes the schematic which is the part I really want to see.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 10:56 am   #18
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

If you go for the RT&S one that's available, on page two is the full schematic i'm looking at it as we type now ( my book). Pauls link is just showing page one as a teaser

Chris
Old 19th Oct 2010, 11:24 am   #19
stitch1
Heptode

Hi Geof,
I have a blue one, little tatty but it works well. As OTT says there's a schematic in the service data, I used M11515 - Manufacturers Service Data
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2978.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	41598  
Old 19th Oct 2010, 11:35 am   #20
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Stitch1 you one looks quite good, it has the cloth front instead of the plastic grill. I'll try that number.
Closed Thread