UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2008, 4:59 pm   #1
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Bush TR82/97 and other repros.

Hi all, while browsing my local car boot sale this morning, i spotted a filthy old
bush tr82b & rushed in to rescue it
On closer inspection, it turned out to be a modern copy! but before i put it down, the guy on the stall said "yours for a quid" so a pound changed hands.
I noticed that the large tuning knob looked identical to the original, so it was
worth getting just for that! When i got in i tried it only to find it works perfectly so i am not now going to break it up.
After a good clean, i compared it with my original bush (see pics) but after removing the rear centre screw, the back won't come free it seems to be invisably fixed at either side towards the top of the set.
does anybody know how to remove it? can this set run from batteries?
As a point of interest, does anyone know of other sets that have had modern copies made? as i have 4 originals (1 mains/battery valve & 3 transistor sets)
it is worth keeping as the saying goes "immitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bush1.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	17571   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush2.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	17572   Click image for larger version

Name:	bush3.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	17573  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 1st Jun 2008 at 9:28 am. Reason: Given more accurate title.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 1:26 am   #2
Robert Darwent
Heptode

Default Re: Bush tr82b & son

The modern Bush copy you've picked up looks to be the TR82/97 model, well done for getting it so cheaply BTW . I've got one of the DAB versions, the TR82DAB, which I'm sure uses the same method for securing the rear cover.

After removing the centre screw you need to push the entire back up or down and it should then come off. Its not just held on by the screw but by some plastic hooks as well. Underneath is another plastic cover protecting the electronics and a battery compartment. My DAB set has an holder for 6 x C cells, your set will probably be the same.

Robert G0UHF
www.wavesintheair.co.uk
Old 1st Jun 2008, 9:11 am   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bush tr82b & son

Hi Mark,

We lampooned these repro jobs a few years ago and, for your benefit, I have temporarily reinstated this thread which we'd sent to the forum graveyard. It should provide at least some of the info you seek on the TR82/97 and other repros.
Old 1st Jun 2008, 11:43 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Default Re: Bush TR82/97 and other repros.

Thanks to Robert & Darren for your comments, i will have a go at removing the back from my repro.
I have now read the threads about the repro, while i agree with a lot of comments made, imho i think sound quality, although is not up to the original
it still is'nt to bad & a lot better than most 'modern' sets i have come across.
It has now found a place as my kitchen radio!
On the subject of the tr82b i bought another this morning for £2!!
the bottom of the back is damaged & the tuning knob bright is missing, but
on applying power it crackled in to life, after a squirt of switch cleaner, it is now sounding good, yet another set to go into the restoration pile
(along with 2 suitcase portables, a nice little stella transistor & a cute phillips
bakelite set) which i also bought this morning
Pictures of the set below, keep a look out for a success story shortly
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	b1.JPG
Views:	454
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	17581   Click image for larger version

Name:	b2.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	17582   Click image for larger version

Name:	b3.JPG
Views:	592
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	17583   Click image for larger version

Name:	b4.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	17584  
Old 1st Jun 2008, 11:52 am   #5
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Missing brights and damaged cabinets are a very common problem with these. At least the 82B uses OCxx transistors, so you won't have the AF11x nuisance to deal with.

If you need any help with the 82B or any of the other radios you've mentioned, be sure to post in the correct forum sections and with seperate threads for each make please .
Old 12th Jun 2008, 2:48 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

My sister, always on the look out for radios at boot sales, bought me a TR82/97, complete with original box & packaging, mains lead, instructions & certificate for £4.

One thing I did find strange, apart from the well documented 'faults' with this model is the letter U in the word BUSH.

Is it meant to be the shape it is?

It's more like a horseshoe shape than a straight side U !

See pics below:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Imgp6514.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	17807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp6515.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	17808  
Old 12th Jun 2008, 3:11 pm   #7
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

There must be a lot of these TR82/97s about! , I bought one for £1 at a bootsale last Saturday , and that has the same funny shaped "U", a standard feature I guess . The volume control knob had fallen off mine, the fixing screw had come undone and was stuck to the speaker magnet, but after a lot of dismantling including the drive cord I managed to get it all working again, sounds quite good but the originals were much better engineered......

Regards, Mick.
Old 12th Jun 2008, 3:33 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Hi Mick,

I think the owners of these repros are realising that they're not all they are cracked up to be, hence the appearance of them at boot sales.

I've dismantled the whole tuning assembly ready to improve it, also the large dial knob needs a bit of spacing as it rubs on the body.

The 'wonky' U is probably deliberate...a way of the trade identifying them from the original one.

Just found a picture on the web that also clearly shows the wonky U:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bush TR82(97).jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	17814  
Old 12th Jun 2008, 4:02 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

My understanding about the wonky "U" is that the prototype for the TR82/97 was a TR82 at the Vintage Wireless Museum which happened to have a wonky "U". This was faithfully reproduced.

Quite possibly true. Or urban myth?
Old 12th Jun 2008, 9:38 pm   #10
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman
I think the owners of these repros are realising that they're not all they are cracked up to be, hence the appearance of them at boot sales.
Or is it dirty pots & switches? I picked up two more this week for a fiver,
One 'woody' & one 'machine age' both are now working fine after attention
with switchcleaner Wonder if they will be around in 50 years though

Last edited by Darren-UK; 13th Jun 2008 at 12:34 am. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 13th Jun 2008, 9:32 am   #11
ajs37
Heptode

Re: missing dial brights from TR82Bs - Igranic has 'tooled up' and made a few of these - I got 6 of them from him (and I noticed they were on sale at the B&B stall at NVCF) - PM him for details
Cheers
Andy
Closed Thread