UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jul 2020, 5:21 pm   #1
Sirfara

Default Philips LFH 0085/15 rewinds, but won't play back

Hi everyone,

I found in the office an old Philips LFH 0085/15, with some tapes belonging to a teacher who passed away some years ago.

The recorder wouldn't work, when the play button was pushed, it made some noise. I bought another LFH 0085/15 on Ebay, but it had the same problem, so I decided to open them up only to find that the reel belts were completely melted in both recorders. So, I bought some replacements, and now I can rewind the tapes as much as I want, but neither of the recorders will play them. It feels like they are not strong enough to play, but they are to rewind.

Any ideas? I ended trying to restore this gals by pure chance, so forgive me if I'm asking something obvious.
Old 25th Jul 2020, 5:26 am   #2
TIMTAPE
Octode

Default Re: Philips LFH 0085/15 rewinds, but won't play back

I serviced these in the 80's. Minicassettes dont use a capstan and pinch roller but the tapes are pulled through solely by the take up spindle. It's called "rim drive".

Possibly the rubber drive ring stretched around the take up turntable has failed. You might be able to replace it with a suitable small drive belt.

Philips made a whole range of Minicassette models including office desktop types. Some only played the tapes back.
Old 28th Jul 2020, 11:38 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Roughen up the ruuber rim of the takeup spool with fine sandpaper (papel de lijar)
Old 29th Jul 2020, 11:44 am   #4
TIMTAPE
Octode

Yes cleaning and even roughening the tyre is a good move. Just try to do any roughening evenly to avoid a flat spot or "out of round" as since it's rim drive, not capstan drive, this can affect the tape speed stability.
Old 13th Aug 2020, 9:38 pm   #5
henrymarpla
Triode

I have this Philips LFH 0085, when disassembling I found these loose parts, any idea what part they could be ...? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MG_8790.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	213419  
Old 14th Aug 2020, 10:32 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Return leaf for rewind segment of tranport control?
Old 14th Aug 2020, 5:05 pm   #7
henrymarpla
Triode

I would have to see a photo to guide me ...
Closed Thread