UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jun 2020, 12:25 am   #1
Alan Bain
Pentode

Default Plug identification

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a socket on a swiss grinding machine - three pin with threaded locking ring, but the last place I saw anthing similar was on a miliary radio set. Any leads (in particular for where I might look for the mating connector!) would be most welcome!

Obviously I could replace it with something conventional, but too many years of restoring radio sets makes this anaethema!

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2060.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	208981  
Old 20th Jun 2020, 12:46 am   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Plug identification

It looks like a Niphan connector, typically used for outdoor applications: https://www.lpa-group.com/product/ni...0Transport%20+
Old 20th Jun 2020, 1:22 pm   #3
turretslug
Dekatron

Very recognisably a Niphan, and also a very long-running British connector, so may have been a retro-fit anyway- always possible that the Swiss decided that it was good enough for them originally, though. Beware if using a NOS/second-hand one that a large number were made with L and N markings transposed at one point- maybe an apprentice had loaded insulator blanks into the wrong jigs or something. They should have the same orientation as 13A domestic plugs and many others.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 11:45 pm   #4
Alan Bain
Pentode

Thanks - that does indeed look like a perfect match for the connector! Now I need to try and find one that is affordable!
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 1:41 pm   #5
philthespark
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Bain View Post
Thanks - that does indeed look like a perfect match for the connector! Now I need to try and find one that is affordable!
Just a wild stab, but you don't happen to know anyone who works at a racecourse do you?
Now the reason I ask is this, some years ago I worked for a company repairing the 'teletubbies' the trucks used at race meetings that are basically a massive tv screen. anyway another part of the job was adjusting, testing and repairing the starting gates, they had the same plug and socket on them to link them together, iirc, they are in modules of 10 gates and they link them together to make bigger gates for more horses.
The only other place I used them was on machines at Pilkingtons glass plants, If you knew someone at either of these places they may be able to aquire you one.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 3:29 pm   #6
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

They can be found in diverse applications, especially of a heavy duty infrastructure or military nature. e.g. I have them in use on a 1931 projector, a 1945 searchlight generator, some 1950s floodlights etc, and an identical type can sometimes be seen feeding lighting in tube stations.

There have been cheaper replicas sold for marine use that look interchangeable although I have never tried them for compatibility and cannot vouch for whether you can get an inlet configuration (i.e. cable female to fit chassis male) or the right shell size. E.g.
Trem 3-pin google image search
Closed Thread