UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2021, 8:03 am   #1
metting
Diode

Default Looking for reference materials on TV market 50's-onward.

Hello! I'm working on a personal research project and I was hoping someone might have some reference material resources to share.

In brief, I'm wondering whether cinematography for TV media has experienced systemic shifts in shot composition due to increases in consumer TV size and resolution (so if larger screens mean directors favor shots with a larger field of view).

Collecting media data seems fairly straightforward, but unfortunately I'm having a bit of a tough time finding data on TV models and pricing. What I would be searching for is a repository (or several discrete repositories) of information about TV model screen size, display technology, and pricing starting in the 50s (the earliest decade for which I think I could obtain a reasonable media data set). I have some pricing and screen size information from tvhistory.tv, but am specifically looking for a broad enough database that I could draw some statistical conclusions.

Would anyone be able to point me to something along those lines? I'm very amenable to sifting through catalogues and compiling my own spreadsheets or something of that nature.

I'd be glad to discuss the project or data gathering more, as well, just don't want to impose. Thank you for your attention, I appreciate it
Old 8th Jan 2021, 9:59 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for reference materials on TV market 50s-onward

Hi ,
Find a copy of “Window to the Future” by Steve Kosareff published 2005. Its a book about the advertising used by USA TV set makers through the 1940’s to the 1970-80’s. It has many pages of original adverts with descriptions of the sets and some have prices eg RCA 21CS5871J $495. Front and back covers of the book.
ISBN 0-8118-4632-6
Publisher https://www.chroniclebooks.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	89D79EE5-0C82-43E7-B39F-0CDCD332B91C.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	224106   Click image for larger version

Name:	026D2764-62BE-44BD-A6F7-DAA4BDA9B575.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	224107  

Last edited by Nuvistor; 8th Jan 2021 at 10:09 am.
Old 8th Jan 2021, 12:30 pm   #3
John_BS
Octode

There used to be a UK trade organisation BREEMA

"British Radio & Electronic Equipment Manufacturers' Association"
It may be possible to find if any archive still exists? There is something held at the National Archive in Kew, but it looks like a document rather than a collection. Not sure when BREEMA was disbanded but someone on here will know.
There will certainly be BBC internal papers relating to production changes/ impact of e.g widescreen and HD. It may be worth looking on the BBC R&D website as they do publish stuff which is regarded as For the Good of Everyone.
Similarly the EBU.

John

Old 8th Jan 2021, 12:42 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

For UK TVs the "Wireless World" used to cover the "Radio Show" that used to be held at the London exhibition centre "Olympia" every year. Maufacturers used to release their new models at the show, and details of many of these were given in the subsequent issue of the WW. Copies of WW are available to consult on-line, for example here:

https://worldradiohistory.com/

Last edited by emeritus; 8th Jan 2021 at 12:48 pm. Reason: Link added
Old 8th Jan 2021, 1:37 pm   #5
Duke_Nukem
Octode

For a database of Britsh sets up maybe mid 60's try http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvmanu/tvmanu.htm which includes dates, screen sizes, prices. The pages under http://www.thevalvepage.com/tvyears/tvyears.htm are a bit more international and includes developments for each year (including America).

I suspect that any changes in the earlier years would be as a result of gaining production experience plus availability of new equipment for effects, as well as the improving capabilities of the cameras.

TTFN,
Jon
Old 8th Jan 2021, 6:35 pm   #6
metting
Diode

Thank you all so much, these are just the type of resources I was hoping for. I'm definitely interested in regional differences as well as worldwide trends, so the UK-focused materials are much appreciated.

Good point as well about production equipment advances, I hadn't considered that variable. I'll see what I can find on the BBC website about the production side.
Old 9th Jan 2021, 3:09 pm   #7
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Looking for reference materials on TV market 50's-onward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metting View Post
In brief, I'm wondering whether cinematography for TV media has experienced systemic shifts in shot composition due to increases in consumer TV size and resolution (so if larger screens mean directors favor shots with a larger field of view).
I've noticed in the last year or two, that the concept of a graphics-safe area appears to have been abandoned completely.
Closed Thread