UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2013, 12:33 pm   #1
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Default A Bygone Radio Manufacturer in Leeds

(John) Cyril Ratcliffe, 1896-1971, of Leeds, Yorks, was involved in early wireless use and demonstration -in late 1922, he demonstrated wireless reception at City Square, Leeds, to several hundreds of onlookers/listeners. Later, he built and sold wireless sets from his electrical shop in Dewsbury Road, Hunslet, Leeds. Does anyone know more about Cyril and his pioneering work?

I've attached a photo of Cyril and his wireless equipment used in Leeds City Square in 1922.

Moved from this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=93489
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cyril Ratcliffe 2, ca1922, Leeds.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	85086  
Old 30th Oct 2013, 6:11 pm   #2
short wave
Pentode

Default Re: A Bygone Radio Manufacturer in Leeds

Hi Aussilad
the only bit of info I can find on “Mr Ratcliff” is in some”Kelly Directories” in the years of 1917 and 1947 as I only have copies of these. They list streets and names of people in a particular city , vaguely like ”yellow pages”

(1917 P127) No 68 I presume this is his father since he is an artificial teeth maker
(1917 P 688) @ line 11 Cyril is listed and line 25/6 John is listed ..confusing brothers?
Now also has a place In Chapletown Road (line 27)
(1917 P 856) Listed under “Engineer-electrical” on previous page.
(1947 P 14) Listed on “Alpha Street” presumed this is on the corner of “Dewsbury road “(corner shop)
(1947 P 178) can confirm this
(1947 P 1040) and again

I have PDF ed the pages for ease of transfer / printing
Leeds has an old archive site pictures photos etc ,see link below but I have not found anything.

http://www.leodis.net/

Just out of curiosity are you related in any way?. Hope this helps on further research.
Regards S-W Andrew
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1917 page127 .jpg
Views:	134
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	85567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1917 page 688 .jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	85568   Click image for larger version

Name:	1917 page 856.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	85569   Click image for larger version

Name:	1947 page 14 .jpg
Views:	112
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	85570   Click image for larger version

Name:	1947 page 178 .jpg
Views:	110
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	85571  

Old 30th Oct 2013, 6:15 pm   #3
short wave
Pentode

last one!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1947 page 1040 .jpg
Views:	114
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	85576  
Old 30th Oct 2013, 11:37 pm   #4
Nicklyons2
Octode

Don't know if this is any connection but there was an Alpha Radio in Leeds in the 1950s &60s - it may be tenuous but if they had been on "Alpha Street" and moved to bigger/better premises they may have kept the "Alpha" name?
Old 31st Oct 2013, 12:01 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think Alpha Radio in the 60-70's was on North Street. Don't recall them making things, just selling components.
Old 31st Oct 2013, 12:11 am   #6
Nicklyons2
Octode

It was by the 'end' in North St. but it had also had more central premises in the 1950s; I did only posit it as a possible - companies do move and take a name with them - Bristol Street Motors was on the corner of Water Lane/Globe Road for example.
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 12:09 pm   #7
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks indeed Andrew for your research and attachments. Yes, there is a family connection - (John) Cyril Ratcliffe was my wife's uncle. As the 22 Nov 1922 City Square wireless 'demonstration' was a significant event, we believe the photos we have were most likely to have been taken by a Press photographer, to accompany a newspaper report. Likely the Yorkshire Post and/or the Yorkshire Evening Post would be my guess but I can't get online access to either, unfortunately.
Old 5th Nov 2013, 7:51 pm   #8
short wave
Pentode

Thank you for your reply.

Some doubt has entered my mind about your photo "taken" in Leeds City Square...

The base of your statue seems round and of large size. The Black Prince statue (still in place at present)has a rectangular base, this is the only "of size" in City Square installed in 1903, see link below.

I notice also "AVSTRA??A" is this an old spelling of Australia? I've seen "V" used as"U" in old spellings.

http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...03314_85407657

Nothing in YEP site
Regards Andrew
Old 5th Nov 2013, 10:01 pm   #9
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your latest reply and observation. The photos of Cyril Ratcliffe (see no.2 sent with this post) were owned by my mother-in-law who died age 97 three years ago - she was Cyril's sister and some 17 years his junior. Unfortunately, neither of the photos is dated nor the location noted.

However, the onlookers in the 2nd photo include a policeman wearing his helmet, the badge on which identified as that of the Leeds City Police by comparison with a 1970 helmet badge of the same Force - see http://www.britishpolicehelmet.co.uk/id10.html

Would welcome your further comments.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cyril Ratcliffe 1, ca1922, Leeds.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	85742  
Old 5th Nov 2013, 10:11 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by short wave View Post
I notice also "AVSTRA??A" is this an old spelling of Australia ,i`ve seen "V" used as"U" in old spellings
This is 'Roman' spelling - there was no 'u' in the classical Latin alphabet. There was a fad for spelling words like this on public and ceremonial buildings in the late Victorian and Edwardian periods.

Could the plinth or statue have suffered wartime bomb damage and been removed or rebuilt?
Old 5th Nov 2013, 10:37 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Definitely Leeds City Square: look at the windows in the GPO building behind - they're identical:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...ity_Square.jpg

I agree with Paul's observations re. bomb damage, or even more likely, post-war "improvements" whereby statues were moved to allow roads and roundabouts to be built, buildings demolished to allow multistorey office developments and so on.

Googling finds this:
Quote:
City Square was officially opened on 16th September 1903. It has been altered several times but in 2000 work was under taken to restore the square to its original layout.
N.B. If you look closely, the statue and its rectangular plinth are just visible in the background "at 11 o'clock" to Mr Ratcliffe's hat. He's not sat on the plinth of the statue, rather, on some other landscaping feature which may well have been obliterated, or even an elaborate wooden stage. The statue & plinth look the same now as they've always done.

Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 5th Nov 2013 at 10:51 pm.
Old 6th Nov 2013, 11:50 am   #12
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Further research confirms that in 1945, (John) Cyril Ratcliffe, age 48/49, was living at 68A Dewsbury Road, Hunslet, but by 1948, had moved out to Barwick in Elmet. The following link
http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?r...03430_11114138 takes one to a 1964 photo of 68A Dewsbury Road, a shop & house on the corner of Alpha Street.

Further to earlier comments by forum members, by June 1955, the Alpha Radio Supply Co was trading from 5/6 Vinces Chambers, Victoria Square, Leeds 1, as the webpage via the following link illustrates: http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Alpha_Radio_Supply_Co

Regards, Barry
Old 8th Nov 2013, 1:32 am   #13
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: A Bygone Radio Manufacturer in Leeds

I believe now that Andrew was 'on the money' when he wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by short wave View Post
Some doubt has entered my mind about your photo "taken" in Leeds City Square...
The base of your statue seems round and of large size. The Black Prince statue (still in place at present)has a rectangular base, this is the only "of size" in City Square installed in 1903, see link below.
I notice also "AVSTRA??A" is this an old spelling of Australia? I've seen "V" used as"U" in old spellings.
Further research identifies the event as King George V's wireless broadcast on 23 April 1924, from the British Empire Exhibition at Wembley, Middx, which was received in a number of major UK cities. At Leeds, radio receivers were set up in Victoria Square and Roundhay Park.

Without that knowledge and given the heavy smog/fog shown in the photos of the event makes the location very difficult to identify and I assumed incorrectly that it was City Square.

With the King George V broadcast information and via Leodis looking at photos of the Queen Victoria monument (which was located in Victoria Square from 1905-1937, then relocated to Woodhouse Moor), I am convinced that Cyril set up his equipment at Victoria Square on 23 April 1924, with his back to Leeds Town Hall and the statue of Sir Robert Peel to his right side.

Barry
Old 8th Nov 2013, 10:05 am   #14
Station X

Pictures of the statue at Woodhouse Moor.

http://www.victorianweb.org/sculpture/frampton/53.html

http://www.leedscivictrust.org.uk/up...20Victoria.pdf

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Nov 2013, 2:09 pm   #15
telstar
Octode

Hi. I remember my (now late) father buying components from Alpha in North Street in the late 50's & early 1960's when he was an engineer at Marshall H.Haywood's at Headingley. I don't remember Alpha making items, though.
Mike
Old 8th Nov 2013, 7:12 pm   #16
short wave
Pentode

Hi AussieLad and others!,
I think a trip to Woodhouse Moor is required!
It did cross my mind if anywhere else radio signals could be demonstrated in Leeds. Headingley/Woodhouse came to mind as they are high up compared to Leeds "city", also given his shop/home location Huddersfield (Castle Hill)/Dewsbury area was in mind. In photo No.1 there is a "shed" type of building, a bit drab for Leeds City Square, more doubt. Photo 2 looks like City Square at base of the Black Prince statue I may be able to confirm this by lining up the corner of the building /statue /base of the prince...print out and another trip!

Regards, Andrew.
Old 9th Nov 2013, 3:12 pm   #17
camallison
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieLad View Post
With the King George V broadcast information and via Leodis looking at photos of the Queen Victoria monument (which was located in Victoria Square from 1905-1937, then relocated to Woodhouse Moor), I am convinced that Cyril set up his equipment at Victoria Square on 23 April 1924, with his back to Leeds Town Hall and the statue of Sir Robert Peel to his right side.
Reading one of the links to the description of the Queen Victoria statue, the following information is given, " .... The plinth has mouldings on front and rear, a continuous frieze has the words 'INDIA', 'AUSTRALIA', 'CANADA' and 'AFRICA' on scrolled plaques .... "

Colin
Old 9th Nov 2013, 3:17 pm   #18
Station X

Indeed and in one of the pictures you can see the word "CANADA" in similar type face to "AUSTRALIA" as seen in the original pictures.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Nov 2013, 9:49 pm   #19
AussieLad
Retired Dormant Member

Absolutely Colin & Graham. QED?
Barry
Old 10th Nov 2013, 12:36 am   #20
brunel
Heptode

Alpha Radio, owned and run by a Mr. Carvis.
Closed Thread