UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Nov 2020, 10:41 am   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Using Prototype boards

I have a prototype board which I purchased for a project. It is unlike any other prototype/breadboard that I have ever seen and I'm not sure of how one is supposed to solder components to it. It has a matrix of single-hole pads on both sides which seem to be plated-through. I was told a long time ago that it was bad practice to mount and solder more than one wire into a through-hole pad, but this prototype board only has single holes, anyway. Can anyone suggest how components are supposed to be mounted and soldered to it? If it is needed, I could post photos of the two sides of the board.
TIA, Colin.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 11:01 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Using Prototype boards

That is a pretty standard configuration. You just mount components soldering to the pads, and then hard wire on the other side of the board.

For some reason they are usually blue.

Craig
Old 30th Nov 2020, 2:56 pm   #3
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
That is a pretty standard configuration. You just mount components soldering to the pads, and then hard wire on the other side of the board.

For some reason they are usually blue.

Craig
Thanks for the info, Craig. The board that I have came from Dennis Tillman of Tekscopes and is a "normal" translucent pale green colour. I got it in order to make (eventually) a Tektronix TM500 Power Module Tester 067-1201-99. It has the edge-connectors to fit the TM500 backplane and various other markings appropriate to its intended use. Dennis had two designs available and I went for the wrong one, but it just means that I will have to drill a couple of holes neat the backplane connectors.
Colin.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 3:23 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've used them in the past by soldering wire-wrap pins through the holes, wire-wrapping the leads of the components between the pins on one side, and wire-wrapping the interconnecting wires on the other side.
Old 30th Nov 2020, 8:48 pm   #5
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

I have had loads of trouble with thro hole PCBs in the past. SOME, with proper through plating (HP?) are very good.
Half a dozen thro holes on Grundig tuning panels caused loads of problems, as did a batch of teletext boards for an "ITT design" Turkish Bush portable TV.
If you put a hot iron on a thro hole soldered component, and the solder bubbles up, that is a bad one. A very simple solution is to make it bubble until there is a clear hole in one side. Solder the other side normally (fresh solder), then on the side with the hole, very carefully solder just one side of the lead, leaving the other side open. A certain repair.
Some Telequipment boards (D67 etc??), some Motarola car radios. All "I spot them on sight" repairs.
If this board is well thro plated, it will be OK, if not ---
Les
Addendum. My former wife bought a new Brother sewing machine. It became intermittent. The engineer turned up with a large piece of PCB with a number of holes. He fitted this over the board as a template, and touched each joint with his iron. Sure to fail again.

Last edited by MotorBikeLes; 30th Nov 2020 at 8:52 pm. Reason: Addendum.
Closed Thread