UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Nov 2020, 6:26 pm   #1
curiousmind
Diode

Question Goblin Teasmade 835 mystery - works on Tea Now, but not on other settings

Hi Goblin Experts,

My parents recently bought an 835 Goblin Teasmade, intended as a birthday present for my niece. It seemed to be working ok (definitely working on Tea Now setting, but not sure about other settings). Dad has put a new mains cable on, but we seem to have other problems.

The situation now is that the clock, lights and buzzer all work on Tea Now, and on that setting, the kettle will boil and make tea.

But on any other setting the clock does not work, the lights don't work, and no tea making!

Following advice found on/via this forum, we have tested continuity within the teasmade (from where mains cable from the plug is connected to the circuits inside the Teasmade). On Tea Now (with kettle and teapot switches depressed) we have continuity, but not on any of the other settings.

Can anyone help us to work out what the problem is? I'm guessing we might be able to test the selector dial/switch, if only we knew what all the connections are supposed to be. I've attached a photo of the connections on the back of the selector dial that we are looking at. Can anyone decode the numbered connections for us, or tell us what should be connected to which? In case it tells you anything useful, the serial number is 835 28876.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Great Forum btw - lots of really interesting and helpful stuff.

Thanks,

Christine (aka curiousmind)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goblin 835 Teasmade selector switch and clock.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	219932  
Old 8th Nov 2020, 7:33 pm   #2
hamid_1
Heptode

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade 835 mystery - works on Tea Now, but not on other settings

Hello and welcome.

I suspect your Dad made a mistake when he replaced the mains cable. There are two external mains cables; one has a small 3-pin connector and goes to the kettle, the other cable has a 13 amp plug and goes to the wall socket. My guess is that these two cables have been swapped around inside the Teasmade. This would cause the exact symptom that you describe, i.e. only operating when switched to "Tea Now".

The clock should be always on, regardless of the function switch setting, so I don't think the switch is faulty. It must be a wiring error.
Old 8th Nov 2020, 11:18 pm   #3
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Goblin Teasmade 835 mystery - works on Tea Now, but not on other settings

Hi,
On the top edge of the square switch there are two spade connectors nearest the camera. The LH one (marked 5) has a blue wire attached, but the RH one (marked 7) seems to have a broken off connector, Is this correct? Or does it just appear to be?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 9th Nov 2020, 1:46 am   #4
curiousmind
Diode

Default Re: Goblin Teasmade 835 mystery - works on Tea Now, but not on other settings

Thank you to hamid_1 and Tractorfan for such swift and helpful responses.

Pete / Tractorfan, well spotted! The connector just above the 7, at top right, and in front of two wired connectors IS a connector terminal with no wire connected to it. I had just seen a an empty connector, but now I look at it again, there is a female spade connector there as well - but no wire going to it. That rather suggests that there should be something connected there. Any idea what it should be connected to?

hamid_1, That could be it! I'll check tomorrow, but from memory the cable that connects to the kettle is wired to the connections that are at the kettle end of the base. And the cable to the plug is wired to the connections at the other end of the base. That seems like a logical way for them to go, but is that an incorrect assumption on my part?

Thanks again for your help. I'll post again later today when I have had a chance to look at the troublesome Goblin.

Christine
Old 9th Nov 2020, 2:51 pm   #5
curiousmind
Diode

Some more information:

Tractorfan, what we are seeing is actually a two-into-one spade connector - I've attached another photo. So something learned (for me at least), but it does not signify any missing or broken wires or connections.

hamid_1, I have checked, and the kettle connector is wired in to the kettle end of the Teasmade, and the wire from the mains plug is connected at the teapot end of the Teasmade. It would be very strange if they were supposed to be wired the other way around, because then the kettle lead would have trail past the teapot to connect in to the kettle.

So, the mystery remains. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,

Christine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	two into one spade connector.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	219981  
Old 9th Nov 2020, 7:33 pm   #6
buggies
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousmind View Post
Some more information:

hamid_1, I have checked, and the kettle connector is wired in to the kettle end of the Teasmade, and the wire from the mains plug is connected at the teapot end of the Teasmade. It would be very strange if they were supposed to be wired the other way around, because then the kettle lead would have trail past the teapot to connect in to the kettle.
Hmm - strange maybe - but ...
Does this picture help?
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...aid-1775169997
Old 10th Nov 2020, 10:31 am   #7
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Or this one?
https://www.teasmade.uk/general-repair-info/
Old 10th Nov 2020, 1:26 pm   #8
curiousmind
Diode

Buggies,

Thank you for that picture, which does support hamid_1's suggestion. I'll get Dad to try swapping the connections over. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks all,

Christine
Old 11th Nov 2020, 1:04 am   #9
curiousmind
Diode

Problem solved - thank you to everyone for your interest and help.

Thanks especially to hamid_1 who correctly identified the cause of the problem, and to buggies for providing a photo I could use to convince Dad to swap the kettle lead and the mains plug wiring round.

Know-how triumphs over my so-called "logic"!

Case closed, thanks!

Christine
Old 11th Nov 2020, 7:33 pm   #10
buggies
Heptode

And thanks to you for returning with the feedback