UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2018, 1:13 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default FERGUSON 3V42 VCR fault.

Hi everyone.

A week or so ago I was given some vcrs from an elderly gent who bought them new back in the 80s and amongst them is a Ferguson videostar 3v42 which looks mint inside and out.

He told me that it's not been used for about 20 years, so I changed the two belts and pinch roller before trying anything.
When I powered it up it accepted a cassette, fast forwarded and rewound fine but on pressing play the video head started to spin as normal but the loading arms didn't lace the tape up around the head. It then 'played' the tape for about 5 seconds then shut down. It now won't fast forward, rewind or eject the cassette, that has to be done manually by turning the worm gear on the cassette housing. When I press power on, the video head spins, capstan spins and loading motor spins for about 5 seconds then shuts down. Nothing underneath the deck is moving, apart from the capstan motor and connected capstan flywheel.

Is this a common fault with this model as I've never owned one before and can honestly say that I've never seen the particular model before until it was given to me.

Thank you.
Richard.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 1:30 pm   #2
dj_fivos_sak
Heptode

Default Re: FERGUSON 3V42 vcr fault.

Hi Richard. I've heard there are some issues with this type of JVC mechanism where if the machine is unused for a long period of time, the loading mechanism gets gummed up. If the cassette carriage is having trouble lowering down and raising up the cassette in eject, then the worm gear will need some lubrication with molykote grease or another type of white or yellow grease. Is the mechanism now reset to the home position?

Fivos
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 1:42 pm   #3
vhs doctor
Pentode

Unplug from the power the machine. Rotate with your hand the loading motor. Check if the guides, the tension band etc load the tape around the video head. Leave the tape loaded and then connect the vcr to the power plug. If the loading motor rotates and return he mechanism in stop position your circuits must be OK if not maybe you have power supply failure.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 1:47 pm   #4
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi Fivos.
Thanks for the reply.
The cassette carriage doesn't seem to be the problem, it's the machine shutting down after 5 seconds of pressing the power on button. Before the vcr was shutting down the eject was working perfectly, I cleaned all the old black grease off the eject mechanism and put some molykote on it.
I can reset the mechanism only by hand turning the worm gear to eject the cassette.

Thanks
Richard.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 1:48 pm   #5
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi vhs doctor.

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know the outcome.

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 7:49 pm   #6
Snarf81
Heptode

Does this vcr have a mode switch on it?

Thanks
Richard.
Old 24th Oct 2018, 10:52 pm   #7
jayceebee
Heptode

It does but it's not the usual rotary or slide switch, it's an optical device.

On the underside at the rear there is a cam with holes and slots cut into it. There are a also pair of devices each of which comprise an infra red led and phototransistor, the cam at various positions lets IR light through to the phototransistors or blocks it and this is how the micro determines the mechanical position.

Unfortunately it's quite likely to be a possible cause, a manual and some testing with a multimeter will be required.

John.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 12:27 am   #8
Snarf81
Heptode

Thank for the reply John.

I'll take another look at it tomorrow evening and see if I can test the IR led. If it is the cause of the problem are replacements still available do you know?

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 6:01 pm   #9
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

I think it's the JVC grease problem. It's not the easiest of machines to strip down unfortunately, and a manual is pretty indispensable for the re-timing. A hairdryer may temporarily soften the grease so it can return to rest. If the motor is stalled for any length of time the other JVC characteristic comes into play - random CP failure!
Old 25th Oct 2018, 6:40 pm   #10
Snarf81
Heptode

I think I've found the problem. There are a few teeth missing from a white plastic gear directly above the cam.

I have no idea what the correct name of the broken gear is or if replacements are available.
Poor vcr. It's near mint too so it'll be a shame to scrap it just for a stupid gear.

Thanks
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_173313.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	171538   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_173945_HDR.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	171539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_181110.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	171540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181025_181836.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	171541  
Old 25th Oct 2018, 7:52 pm   #11
jayceebee
Heptode

Definitely some damage there but I from what I can tell the teeth are deformed and not missing. It might be possible to reprofile them with a small file but you will need to find what caused it. I would think the chances of obtaining a new assembly are very small, a shame as it does indeed look in excellent condition otherwise. Options are of course from a scrap machine, there were quite a few models used a similar deck.

BTW is that lump of gunk on the top gear new grease or hot melt glue?

John.
Old 25th Oct 2018, 8:33 pm   #12
Snarf81
Heptode

Ah right. It doesn't sound good for the vcr then. What a shame.
It's some silicone grease that I was gonna use to work into all of the lubricated parts.

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 27th Oct 2018, 5:48 pm   #13
Snarf81
Heptode

I've just taken another closer look at the teeth on the gear and some are indeed broken off it and others are damaged. I expect the plastic has gone brittle after all of these years, and after being idle for over 20 years until recently when it was given to me, it must've been too much for it to load a tape.
All I need to do now is find a replacement cog, but I have no idea what it's called or the part number as the service manual doesn't seem to list it.

Thanks
Richard.
Old 27th Oct 2018, 9:50 pm   #14
jayceebee
Heptode

H Richard, I'm not 100% sure but after some google searching I think the part number for that gear is PQ40484. if I remember correctly the manual only listed the complete assembly as a spare part which I'm unable to find.

Google also turned up a possible source of the optical mode sensor, look for PU35632A3 but there of lots of things to check before condemning it.

You could try searching for a scrap or cheap 3V44/45 or 55 as a source of spares

John.
Old 27th Oct 2018, 11:28 pm   #15
vhs doctor
Pentode

Also you can use parts from jvc HR-D140 or HR-D150
I think that this mechanism have a clutch between pulley and worm gear to prevent the gears from damage.
Old 28th Oct 2018, 11:37 am   #16
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi,
Thanks you for the replies, John and vhs doctor,
I think I have found the required part for the vcr, in Australia!

http://www.telespares.com.au/index.p...ucts_id=318692

They also have a gear kit too.

http://www.telespares.com.au/index.p...ucts_id=327775

Is it worth getting the entire kit, or just the gear I need? I'm a bit apprehensive about changing it all as no doubt it'll all have to done with the correct timing etc and I'm hoping I can change it with the mode/loading motor in situ from the bottom

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 8:56 pm   #17
jayceebee
Heptode

Hi Richard

Well done finding that kit but you will certainly need the manual to set the deck timing. As others have said, this range isn't the easiest machine work on unless you have some JVC experience.

I've not been able to find a manual online, do you have any timing info?

John.

Last edited by jayceebee; 29th Oct 2018 at 9:13 pm. Reason: typo
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:11 pm   #18
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi John,

I have hardly any experience with Jvc vcrs apart from changing belts, idlers, pinch rollers, simple stuff etc. I'm more of a Sony/Sanyo Betamax and Philips Video2000 person.

It sounds as though this 3v42 is going to be one tricky thing to get sorted.

There aren't any vcr repair shops in my area anymore so I'm going to be jiggered if I can't get the timing right.
I've found an online manual thanks to another member on here, but I've not looked for the timing information as yet.

Thanks again
Richard.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:51 pm   #19
jayceebee
Heptode

Hi Richard, I've just found the manual for the HR-D140 and if you've experience with Betamax and V2000 I don't think you'll have too much trouble with this. The timing is relatively easy compared to say a Panasonic G deck.

The only fly in the ointment is that there is no info on replacing the worm gear, as I said in an earlier post if that gear was damaged the loading mech was supplied to us as a complete assembly.

Pay careful attention to the positioning of the metal plate with the springs attached. I seem to remember it has a pin that runs in a groove on the gear, take lots of photos before you disassemble it. Also get rid of all that awful sticky black grease from the deck.

Good luck if you give it a go.

John.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 10:07 pm   #20
Snarf81
Heptode

Hi John,

That's great, I don't have that manual, is it online?

I have found someone in the UK that can order in that 'warm wheel' that's bust on mine so it'll be 2-3 weeks until I get the part and try to fit it.

I'll be methodical and take lots of pics, and clean off all of that cruddy black grease.

Hopefully I can fit it properly without much of a headache. I think the black cog disc thing underneath the deck will have to come off first as it looks like it won't fit through the hole in the chassis without it's removal, but I shall take a more detailed look when I actually get the part.

I'll post some pics on this thread of any bits I'm not sure of as I don't want to break the vcr.

Thanks John!

Richard.
Closed Thread