UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:07 am   #1
19Seventy7
Octode

Default 1980s PYE TV with no sound

Hi, I was just looking on ebay at vintage TV sets for sale, and this 1980s PYE tv caught my eye. It is claimed to be working (I have asked for proof) however there is no sound.

My question is will it be an easy fix? I would have thought so, but I have very little knowledge on older TVs so I just wanted to make sure I wont be buying something that I cannot get to work again..

My guess is there is a loose wire, or the speaker cone has rotted, but im not entirely sure.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600rg.jpg
Views:	1682
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	173277   Click image for larger version

Name:	frff.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	173278  

Last edited by 19Seventy7; 23rd Nov 2018 at 5:08 am. Reason: forgot to add photos.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:35 am   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: 1980s PYE TV with no sound

If a TV set is in good order with a good picture and no sound, it will always be possible to fix the fault. However, the fault could be in the sound IF circuit, sound detector, audio pre amp audio output stage or speaker. A competent service engineer could find and fix this fault probably in less than 10 or 20 minutes if they had their test gear with them and a schematic on hand.

However, an inexperienced person who knows little about television test gear, practical electronics and electronics/TV theory might struggle for hours, days, weeks and never be able to fix it.

Your question relates far more to the person who works on the set, and their "skill set" than it does to the TV iself and the technology that comprises the TV. But its always fun to try !

Last edited by Argus25; 23rd Nov 2018 at 5:40 am.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 8:51 am   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Hardly vintage, could be a K35 or a K40 chassis, this is purely from memory but audio faults were rare. Why do you assume a rotted cone? If this is the case this is a potentially lethal item with up to 25kv lurking around. I seem to remember they had a speaker muting switch on them.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 9:20 am   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

K30, very basic. There might be a headphone socket somewhere, can't remember. Note the volume is at max. Is that a mute switch on the front (across from the on/off switch)?
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 10:13 am   #5
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

Hi,

I used to have the remote controlled version of this with teletext, was a really good set! Im sure it had a really odd (to me at least!) headphone socket, it was a DIN socket, and there was a switch to silence the internal speaker.

The speaker was good in mine, pretty good sound for a TV! The switch opposite the power switch was to adjust the sound between music and speech. The speaker is probably fine in this set, doubt it’s rotted at all, as the set looks in good clean condition.

Regards
Lloyd
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 4:33 pm   #6
steve1010uk
Pentode

Like others have said i suspect the little switch by headphone socket needs switching on,

This was a common occurrence on many Philips sets after woman of house (usually) had been dusting and switched it off by accident,
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:00 pm   #7
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiba tony View Post
Why do you assume a rotted cone?

I was just guessing, throwing ideas into what it could possibly be, I don't know for sure, and at the time I posted that (4 AM) I was a quite tired so I wasn't thinking as well as I could have.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:04 pm   #8
19Seventy7
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1010uk View Post
i suspect the little switch by headphone socket needs switching on
I have just asked the seller about this, and fingers crossed that is the case.
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:22 pm   #9
19Seventy7
Octode

Quick Update: The seller said he was testing using an old VCR which uses SCART, but he had to use a coaxial cable, could this be the issue? He said the button made no difference..

Thanks
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 5:44 pm   #10
Panrock
Nonode

What is feeding the 'coax' at the other end? Is this definitely a UK-standard set with the sound spacing set to 6MHz? If it's a Euro set for 5.5MHz, no sound from a UK modulator...
Old 23rd Nov 2018, 6:04 pm   #11
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Closed, breach of forum rule C4.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Closed Thread