UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2014, 7:34 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Question Philips UTS 001 - Pointer Problems!

I was recently given a Philips UTS 001 multimeter, which works on all ranges, the problem being that the pointer comes to rest beyond the LH zero markings. It's about 0.25"" too far left at the Resistance range scale. The mechanical zero adjuster won't correct this, and I've dismantled the instrument, checked the movement and cannot see anything wrong with it. No sign of any overload having happened. What could have caused this fault and is it curable? ( A thought occured as I was typing this - could the problem be caused by magnetization??)
Old 16th Jul 2014, 8:22 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips UTS 001 - Pointer Problems!

Two thoughts, a crossed hairspring, and is there a second adjuster on the rear bearing.
Old 16th Jul 2014, 11:10 pm   #3
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Movement out of Balance? Has the meter ever been dropped?

Paul.
Old 17th Jul 2014, 9:34 am   #4
dave cox
Nonode

There should be an electrical adjustment for zero on resistance.
Only set the 'physical' zero with the meter off or on a high voltage range.
Old 19th Jul 2014, 10:29 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

There is the usual pot. for 'zero ohms, Dave. I was merely stating that the mechanical zero was furthest out at the High resistance end of the ohms scale due to the 'sweep', if that's the right word, of the pointer relative to the scale markings. As to whether the meter has ever been dropped, I don't know, having recently been given it, but, since it's almost 30 years old, it could easily have been knocked or dropped at some time. As to the hairspring & bottom bearing, I haven't checked these as yet.
Closed Thread