UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Jun 2017, 9:34 pm   #1
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default HES 2 (Tele, Intercom 1/2) label removal

Is there an easy way of opening the key panel to insert/remove the extension labels?

I have a recalcitrant couple that are not responding to the 'pin in the slot' method.

Thank you.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 7:46 am   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: HES 2 (Tele, Intercom 1/2) label removal

I don't have an immediate answer, but I'll have a play with one of mine to see whether I can get any clues.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 12:43 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Oscar and Dave,
purely as a matter of interest, any chance of some photos please?
Regards- Mike
Old 25th Jun 2017, 2:05 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Pending taking a photograph of mine one I've dug it out, here is an example from Bob Freshwater's excellent site. The two rows of buttons (except the top two, which select exchange lines) select up to ten extensions. Each button can have a label beside it behind a clear plastic window.
Old 25th Jun 2017, 8:00 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

OK, so here is a photograph of one of mine. As Oscar Foxtrot will know, the labels for the exchange lines and extensions are given on strips of card inserted into slots in the top of the raised section containing the buttons, and the standard way of extracting a strip of card is to insert a pointed object into the small oval hole above the top window (repeatedly if necessary) to slide it out sufficiently to make enough protrude from the top to be able to pull it the rest of the way.

Presumably, the strip in OF's 'phone is either jammed so that it won't slide up or doesn't have enough accessible through the hole to grip it with said pointed object. I have to admit that how to overcome this is a bit of a poser, and will probably depend on exactly where the problem lies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HES2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	145092  
Old 25th Jun 2017, 9:09 pm   #6
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Indeed. Mine was written on paper which has disintegrated in the oval hole.

There are lots of bolts one could undo -- and I suspect lots of complicated springythings waiting to be inadvertently undone.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 7:05 am   #7
Dave Moll
Dekatron

One thought is whether a length of fine wire with the end bent over might be inserted into the slot in the hope of catching the paper to shift it enough to make it accessible.

Certainly, the impression I get from visual inspection of my HES2 is that a major disassembly would be required to open up the section containing the strips.
Old 26th Jun 2017, 1:05 pm   #8
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Actually not so bad.

Remove the cover.

Remove the top two and bottom one screws holding the key escutcheon assembly from the framework.

Turn over the escutcheon assembly and remove 9 or 10 screws. (It may have been 10, but I have 9 screws left.) The escutcheon will then separate into steel baseplate, bakelite cover, 2 bakelite strip inserts and celluloid strip covers.
Closed Thread