UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Aug 2012, 12:51 pm   #1
Chris Wilson
Heptode

Default HV PSU caps, modern substituutes?

I am hopefully building a HV PSU from an early 1990's ARRL schematic. The transformer will give , 2.5, 3. and 3.5kV at 1 amp on the secondaries. The schematic and build section shows a 43uF oil filled cap of vast proportions and 4kV rating used for smoothing. Can I duplicate this with an array of more modern capacitors? I doubt I will anything like the original short of finding something surplus in Russia or China! Thanks.
Old 16th Aug 2012, 6:33 pm   #2
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Default Re: HV PSU caps, modern substituutes?

Hmm, might be able to help there - will report back later.....
Old 16th Aug 2012, 7:40 pm   #3
GrimJosef
Dekatron

43uF at 4kV stores nearly 350J so whatever you end up with will inevitably be physically large unless you can use electrolytics, which at this voltage you realistically can't. The cheapest solution using modern capacitors might be to put a lot of motor run polyprops in series-parallel. A 6 'high' by 8 'wide' array of 30uF 470VAC ones like these http://uk.farnell.com/arcotronics/c2...vac/dp/1789706 would give you 40uF at very nearly 4kV. If you bought 50 the total price would still be in the region of £250 though. I imagine that ripple current limits won't be an issue with film caps but it's always worth checking.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 16th Aug 2012, 9:37 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

How about some beefy Power factor correction caps from a 3 phase main switchboard in series parallel. Thompson and Siemens make them.

Ed
Old 16th Aug 2012, 11:34 pm   #5
valveaudio
Hexode

Chris,
Have a look here.
www.hivoltcapacitors.com/

Trevor
Closed Thread