UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2019, 7:02 pm   #1
Sinewave
Octode

Default Taylor 65A All Wave Signal Generator

So today at the rally in Andover I picked this up.

I don't need another sig gen, but I just couldn't resist. I love the look of it, so I had to have it.

My photos show no screws on the front panel, because I removed them to show the inside.

There's a mains cable attached, no plug on it. Some excuse was given as to why there's no plug on it with some certainty given that it works.

I'm thinking of a variac start...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor 65A.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	182056   Click image for larger version

Name:	Taylor 65A(2).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	182057  
Old 1st May 2019, 2:31 pm   #2
avocollector
Heptode

Default Re: Taylor 65A All Wave Signal Generator

oooh luverly - much envy as I've really run out of room for any more goodies. Building a new extra shed of course but that will only house the overflow decently (and give me back the garage). Wonder what inspires one to want 'just one more' when you already have 20 or 30?? LOL - great fun though.
Old 1st May 2019, 6:14 pm   #3
Sinewave
Octode

This inspired me due to it's appearance and being told that it's from the 30s and working. I've still yet to test it though.

This is probably my 5th signal generator. Some of the others compliment each other by covering ranges the others don't.
Old 1st May 2019, 6:40 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Every body should own this model, had mine years.

Do not trust the blue /yellow replacement cap though, they used to fail years ago on b/white TV's.
Old 1st May 2019, 7:13 pm   #5
Sinewave
Octode

So what do you think, soft start or test the cap first?
Old 1st May 2019, 7:19 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

If it's across the mains...chop it out......unless you like smoke and bits of tinfoil floating about the workshop!
Old 1st May 2019, 7:28 pm   #7
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideband View Post
If it's across the mains...chop it out......unless you like smoke and bits of tinfoil floating about the workshop!
I'll ask the wife to switch it on then whilst I pop out...
Old 2nd May 2019, 12:39 pm   #8
avocollector
Heptode

Just out of curiosity how many have actually had a cap explode on them?? happened to me once and surprisingly while I was using an electric hedge trimmer, but never on vintage radio or test gear to date and yes I happily plugged in and switched on many time before present awareness of using a limiter etc.
Old 4th May 2019, 9:14 pm   #9
Sinewave
Octode

There is some functionality.

I tested it with my scope, but had to improvise as I don't have a bnc to one of those regular coaxial (tristar?) plugs.

I did get a nice enough sinewave with readings being sensible. It dropped out every now and then, but that my have been my connection. So I'll need to get an adaptor and have more of a play!

I'll leave it for now as I've had a few but was just curious.
Old 8th May 2019, 7:31 pm   #10
ekjdm14
Banned

That's interesting, I have a 65c which is largely similar aside from the orientation of the rectifier which is longitudinal on mine, and the fact that mine has a BNC connector (although believe it's a mod.) that would appear to be from 1950.

Not sure when they were introduced though I'd suggest the date stamp on your transformer would be more likely '51 than '31 especially given the Octal valves which I believe were introduced around 1935-ish. But I agree they're a handsome looking piece of equipment and useful too, Have you done any more testing with yours yet? I'm still waiting on one 6J5 valve before I can bring mine up & see what's cooking...
Old 9th May 2019, 8:57 am   #11
Nanozeugma
Heptode

I have a 65B which I picked up in Ambleside in the Lakes whilst staying with my daughter in Manchester - an eBay jobby.
Interesting to see the detail differences in the front panel.
My dial bezel is chromed.
It's on the roundtuit pile.....
Old 9th May 2019, 9:51 am   #12
Sinewave
Octode

I am wondering if my scale plate is not an original as it has a range which isn't covered by the generator.
Old 9th May 2019, 11:31 am   #13
livewireless123
Tetrode

Here is mine, cost me a fiver second hand in the mid sixties. still gets fairly regular use and haven't done any repairs on it for years. I do check its frequency against a trio comms RX. the advert is from a 1949 Wireless World.
The original output connector was a 2 pin job, I put on a standard jack plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SG 002.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	182762   Click image for larger version

Name:	SG 001.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	140.6 KB
ID:	182764  

PREVIOUS USER NAME- MIKE G3ZII
Old 9th May 2019, 12:24 pm   #14
avocollector
Heptode

All sinewave's fault - after seeing his Taylor I could not resist this Monarch 12 - valves are 76, 31, and 84.

Oh and of course not a chance in a million it works but that's part of the fun.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Monarch model 12.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	182765  
Old 9th May 2019, 12:36 pm   #15
Sinewave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekjdm14 View Post
That's interesting, I have a 65c which is largely similar aside from the orientation of the rectifier which is longitudinal on mine, and the fact that mine has a BNC connector (although believe it's a mod.) that would appear to be from 1950.

Not sure when they were introduced though I'd suggest the date stamp on your transformer would be more likely '51 than '31 especially given the Octal valves which I believe were introduced around 1935-ish. But I agree they're a handsome looking piece of equipment and useful too, Have you done any more testing with yours yet? I'm still waiting on one 6J5 valve before I can bring mine up & see what's cooking...
I think you're right, this is a 50s set, not a 30s set.

No further testing yet. I'm not sure whether to use an adaptor or just change the socket to a BNC.
Old 9th May 2019, 3:50 pm   #16
ekjdm14
Banned

If the Belling Lee(?) connector is in good condition I'd probably leave that in place, the BNC on mine will be useful as I have some BNC-to-crocodile leads lying around that will be good to use with it but if it had the standard co-ax plug I can see no reason to get shot of it for the kind of use it's likely to see. Obviously in a pro/field environment BNC would be more reliable but for home/hobby use I'd say it's fine as it was.
Old 9th May 2019, 5:06 pm   #17
Sinewave
Octode

I may just get an adaptor so that I can use my BNC leads with it, they're less than a £1 for an adaptor.
Old 28th May 2019, 10:26 pm   #18
Sinewave
Octode

I bought the regular socket to BNC adaptor which has made this much easier to test. The 65A all seems to be a solid performer.

Also at the NVCF in Warwickshire, I saw the B version and couldn't resist. All works fine but the internal modulation is a bit noisy and some of the knobs are a bit stiff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG3281.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	184086  
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 12:53 pm   #19
ekjdm14
Banned

Inspired by this thread, I shall attempt to find time today for testing my 65C. So far I've brought it up on variac and voltages seemed sensible etc but I didn't seem to get anything out of it. May have a poke around today, get a 'scope on it & hit it with a mains switch-on, maybe I just brought it up too slowly!
Old 3rd Jun 2019, 1:07 pm   #20
Andrewausfa
Octode

Someone might have stuck high voltage up the attenuator or it could be dirty switches. Or, in fact, any number of reasons!

Andrew
Closed Thread