UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2019, 8:31 pm   #1
GlowBlue
Tetrode

Default Cheap valves?

I bought a cheap amplifier on Aliexpress some time ago.After watching a lot of video's on it i decided to change the tubes for Russian old stock ones.In my search i ordered them here.In my comparison it was very cheap.4 sets of 4 tubes for under €50 shipped.While on Alieexpress you pay €28 for a set of 4.And the original Chinese tubes are lighter then the Russian ones.One of the Chinese was faulty so had to replace it anyway.It was very well packed and shipped very fast.At first i was a bit sceptical to order in Ukraine but i gave it a try.Maybe someone need something.It's worth a look i think.
https://www.etsy.com/nl/shop/kambrem...hopheader-name

Leon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3895.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	178894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3896.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	178895  
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 12:14 pm   #2
ionburn
Heptode

Default Re: Cheap valves?

I have used none of these sites, but my experience with Eastern Euopean suppliers up to yet has been very good. Those in the EU seem quicker but I think that is just customs.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 1:56 pm   #3
Techman
Dekatron

I buy Russian valves from both the Ukraine and Bulgaria without problems.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 4:44 pm   #4
paulsherwin

The USSR stuck with valve based military technology for a long time, so when it collapsed there were warehouses full of military grade valves throughout the Warsaw Pact countries and former Soviet republics. The contents of these have been progressively 'liberated' by local entrepreneurs over the years.
Old 23rd Feb 2019, 11:51 pm   #5
mark_in_manc
Octode

I have used Russian equivalents to 6L6 in a pair of Quad IIs for some time - using roman characters they're numbered 6p3s. I found them to work fine, though I have no measurements to back that up. I too have had no trouble with east-european vendors, though I know folks who have not been so fortunate. I have some Russian ECC83 near equivalents (heaters wired differently, I think) and EL84 too, for a guitar amplifier project which is somewhat stalled.
Old 24th Feb 2019, 1:03 am   #6
Steve_Bell
Hexode

I've ordered valves from the Ukraine several times and find they are much cheaper, probably better (military) quality and arrive within two weeks. Never had to pay customs duty.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 12:57 am   #7
GlowBlue
Tetrode

I'm new to valves and i go open a tread on another forum on this
Leon.
Old 26th Feb 2019, 6:42 am   #8
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I've bought valves off Vitali, off his ebay site, excellent bloke. Also bought other Russian NOS valves off ebay, again no problem. What's not to like, great price, valves arrive in about a week, well packed and you get good after sales service.

Andy.