UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2015, 10:50 am   #1
Acereno
Retired Dormant Member

Default Components for GPO 746 Conversions

Hi! All you knowledgeable people out there I am new to the forum so please excuse any mistakes made. My question is when converting a GPO 746 telephone to Plug & Socket working I need your help. The diagrams show use of a 3.3 Kohm resistor, a rectifier element 205, or use of two 1N4001 diodes. I assume that the voltages are 50 volt. I have tried several local electronic outlets without success, so please where do I get them from? Am I actually asking for the right components?

Many Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ace
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 1:33 pm   #2
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Components for GPO 746 Conversions

Hello Ace, and welcome.

You don't actually need either diodes or resistor to get the telephone to work. If you're just using the one telephone then leave a link in between terminals 4 and 5. It will work fine. The resistor decreases the REN but drops approximately half your ringing voltage across it.

The diodes are to clip off acoustic shock from line-clicks, more pronounced on the sensitive rocking-armature receivers of the 700 series instruments. There're only a few millivolts on the receiver across which the diodes are connected back-to-back, so 50V PIV rated diodes will be way more than adequate. Any old diodes will do that you could scavenge. eBay? Hardly worth bothering the likes of RS or CPC for just a couple.

You could always do up the telephone without the aforementioned components and fit them later, when you acquire the bits. The 'proper' rectifier pack (Rectifier, 205) sometimes crop up on eBay too. It's just a couple of diodes encapsulated and fitted with spades.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 2nd Apr 2015, 2:38 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Components for GPO 746 Conversions

Even Zener diodes will do, if you're desperate! The business-end-to-tail-end wiring means that there will never be more than 0.7 V across the pair.