UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Jan 2015, 12:40 am   #1
Aaamusements
Pentode

Default BT exchange modules from NATO command bunker!

We recently acquired a number of modules from a BT exchange rack in a derelict hardened NATO (USAFE) bunker. They probably date from the late 70s when the building was commissioned.

There were about 10 of these modules in the rack, there were a number of different units in there too but unfortunately I only got these.

Not sure who they are made by but they have a TMC label on, they contain PYE and STC components. The valves is made by Standard Telephones and Cables too, it's a fairly common type - 16STE AKA L102/2K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	797.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	102545   Click image for larger version

Name:	040.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	102546   Click image for larger version

Name:	041.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	102547   Click image for larger version

Name:	045.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	102548   Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	102549  

Old 11th Jan 2015, 1:18 am   #2
n_r_muir
Hexode

Default Re: BT exchange modules from NATO command bunker!

Seeing the +/_ 80V markings I think these are likely to be voice frequency telegraph units.
A number of these would be frequency division multiplexed onto one voice channel, allowing a number of telegraph or teleprinters to work independently over one voice circuit.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 1:36 am   #3
Aaamusements
Pentode

That makes sense. There were about 12 of these units in the rack.

It was difficult to work out what was what - there was an Autovon exchange in there as well so it was all very confusing. Never seen so much comms equipment in one place, and that was after a lot of it had been removed...
Old 11th Jan 2015, 12:23 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: BT exchange modules from NATO command bunker!

Hi,
I hadn't seen so much comms in one place either, until I visited Hack Green Secret Bunker near Nantwich!
Cheer, Pete.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hack Green secret bunker. (29).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	102554  
Old 11th Jan 2015, 1:08 pm   #5
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi,

Just to the left of the large test set on the right hand side of the picture you can just see at least two "shelves" of voice frequent telegraph equipment. Among the other equipment there are several shelves of FDM multiplex equipment providing lots of voice circuits.

That is certainly a very comprehensive set of communications equipment and related test equipment that they have installed there.

From memory (45+ years ago) the "valve" used in the VFT equipment was actually a current limiting barretter in the output circuit to the teleprinter rather than a conventional valve.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 1:58 pm   #6
Aaamusements
Pentode

Yes you're correct:
http://www.forum.radios-tv.co.uk/vie...hp?f=15&t=1100

I have seen loads of these units and similar end up in demo scrap and skipped. There was a room full at the now demolished post-war AAOR bunker at Uxbridge that was instead used by the Americans:
http://www.airfieldinformationexchan...l=1#post122783
Old 11th Jan 2015, 6:11 pm   #7
g8jzyian
Pentode

Yes
Those are the 50 baud channels we used to run 12 on a 4khz audio channel. The same people supplied 200 baud channels and the associated filters and amplifiers. They required 20 V main supply and then the telegraph supply which could be +- 80 V or +-6 V. they were quite good at demodulating RTTY back in the day. I may have the manual in the attic but I won't be able to look till the end of January.
Ian
PS don't use them upside down the output was a mercury wettd relay if I remember correctly
Old 11th Jan 2015, 6:21 pm   #8
Aaamusements
Pentode

The manual would certainly be interesting if you find it.

They do indeed contain a mercury-wetted relay. I assume it's OK to store them any way up? I hope so!
Old 11th Jan 2015, 9:55 pm   #9
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi,

Relays with Mercury wetted contacts usually have an arrow symbol printed on them so that they are kept the right way up!
Old 11th Jan 2015, 9:59 pm   #10
Aaamusements
Pentode

Hmm, well I assume that will be the same way as the modules are designed to sit in the rack when in use then!

What happens if they are stored incorrectly?
Old 11th Jan 2015, 10:10 pm   #11
n_r_muir
Hexode

When the equipment is the right way up the relay is the right way up. After a couple of weeks or so gravity will sort the mercury out and the relay will probably work ok again. The Mercury was there to eliminate problems due to contact bounce.
Old 11th Jan 2015, 10:19 pm   #12
Aaamusements
Pentode

I see, that makes sense. Many thanks.
Old 12th Jan 2015, 8:03 pm   #13
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamusements View Post
Not sure who they are made by but they have a TMC label on, they contain PYE and STC components. The valves is made by Standard Telephones and Cables too, it's a fairly common type - 16STE AKA L102/2K.
They are not unlike Erikson (Sweden) and could also remind a little of "that" company that used to produce similar items in Bergen (Norway) I will remember the name when I have shut the computer off
The method of construction has many similarities and components.

Short term memory loss isn't much fun.
Old 12th Jan 2015, 8:34 pm   #14
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

The valve is indeed a current-controller for the +/-80V TTY loop. There was a later plug-in substitute that had several "CV"-type metal-can TO5, one TO126 plastic transistor and a red LED serving the same function.

'Borrowed' instances of this TO126 transistor [I suspect MJE340 or equivalent] could produce about five Watts of RF on 1.8MHz when fed with a 150-Volt HT supply, as some oldtimers at the New Southgate ARC could no doubt describe.
Closed Thread