UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Dec 2014, 4:18 pm   #1
akuram1
Pentode

Default Sharp VZ1500E Hi-Fi

I have one of these which has developed a fault where the supply to the motor gets to the the panel for the buttons to control the turntable and stylus arm about 30 volts however the motors are not turning. Has anyone any suggestions as how to proceed.
This has not been used for some years but when run up using a 100watt bulb works on radio and tape deck.
It is about 40 years since I left the trade and this looks to me a bit complicated for me.
Has anyone had any experience of this unit which plays on both sides of the record and used to perform well. I would have to get a new drive belt and see that they are still available if I could get it going.
Thanks
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 6:12 pm   #2
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Re: Sharp VZ1500E Hi-Fi

30v DC is a bit high for the motors on these, I would have thought some thing more like12vDC, also these decks rely on a small drive belt to move the arms back and forth, if this belt is slipping then the deck will not operate correctly or at all.
Gary
Old 23rd Dec 2014, 7:39 pm   #3
akuram1
Pentode

I'll check voltage but neither motor runs so it's not slipping.
Old 26th Dec 2014, 12:31 pm   #4
nigelr2000
Heptode

it's not a simple as a switch feeding a motor, if it's the same as its big brothers it will be microprocessor control where nothing will happen unless it is in the right status to start with so check for iffy skeleton microswitches that the larger VZ's suffer from also try moving the arm motor by hand so it is part way into a record with no power then plug it in and see if it resets to rest, this will show if everything else is working. I didn't see many of these and am more familiar with the upright range so can't really be much more help apart from thinking that 30 volts is way to high, I would expect 5 ish on the buttons and 12 on the motors. Also it is not unknown for the push button tact switches to fail so you could just try and force it into play by shorting the switch momentarily with a wire.
Old 26th Dec 2014, 4:16 pm   #5
akuram1
Pentode

Thanks will try to check out your suggestions tomorrow.
Old 30th Dec 2014, 4:08 pm   #6
akuram1
Pentode

When I move the arm manually along a bit and plug in it does reset itself so that motor runs however the turntable motor is not being fed from the microprocessor panel and I cannot see what more I can do with this. The supply to this panel is indeed 12 volts by the way. It is so long since I left the trade I think I will just junk it and look to pick up a Dansette or similar which I would be more able to get going as valve technology is more in my capabilities.
I came across this in the attic when having a clean out and have a load of LP's which I fancied playing and this has been up there for about 15 years since it was used.
The radio and the tape deck are working fine but I just thought I would try it before I chucked it.
If it is of any use to anyone let me know.
Thanks for your suggestions anyway.
All the best for 2015
Old 30th Dec 2014, 4:45 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

I would like it if it's going please
Old 30th Dec 2014, 5:01 pm   #8
akuram1
Pentode

I think I sent you a message saying it's yours if you give me a few days to assemble and pack.
Old 30th Dec 2014, 5:07 pm   #9
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

This seems to have morphed into a sales thread - closed.