UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th May 2014, 8:22 pm   #1
Sparks
Heptode

Default BT Tribune telephone

Does anyone know what type of microphone/transmitter is used in these phones ? I am using the innards of one for a project and am having trouble finding a microphone that will work.

Thankyou.
Old 15th May 2014, 9:00 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: BT Tribune telephone

It will surely be either a dynamic one (i.e. moving coil, low impedance), or an electret capsule type (condenser microphone with built-in FET pre-amp). Have you got the original microphone to analyse? The former were more popular in British phones of the 1980s.

Note that like many phones of that era, the Tribune was made in many different versions (pulse, DTMF, bell, tone caller etc.) and no doubt by different manufacturers too, so your Tribune might well be different to mine.

Nick.
Old 15th May 2014, 9:57 pm   #3
Sparks
Heptode

Default Re: BT Tribune telephone

Thanks for your prompt reply Nick. The phone is I believe an enhanced Tribune. There is a volume control for incoming speech which is why I bought it in the first place. I don't have the original microphone to hand just now but I recall it being about an inch in diameter and quite heavy for its size.

By the way I checked for voltage across the microphone input and I got 1v if that helps.
Closed Thread