UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2017, 1:47 pm   #41
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

So far as I know Titebond hide glue is a hide glue, Titebond, Titebond 11 and Tightbond 111 are pva with different properties:

Titebond, Titebond 11 and Tightbond 111

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CqcES9bRGU

Titebond 11 isn't a type 11 version of Titebond hide glue.

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 30th Oct 2017 at 2:07 pm.
Old 30th Oct 2017, 2:09 pm   #42
greenstar
Octode

Thanks for that. It looks as though that seller has mixed up the information for the various Titebonds. I have sent them an email.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 12:18 am   #43
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

I've now completed my experiments with the type of Gorilla Glue (GG) which I have previously mentioned. For a general adhesive for wood - usually PSE pine or redwood - I have always used PVA. So my experiments were a comparison of those two adhesives. I made two samples of a halving joint, X-shaped, using pine. In summary, my conclusions are as follows:

1. In terms of 'retaining strength' - i.e. how easy / difficult it was to pull the joint apart by hand, PVA won easily; the GG was weak in comparison. Both test samples were left for 48 hours for the respective adhesive to cure, prior to that test.
2. In terms of removing excess glue that has squeezed out of the joint - when the glue has not set, the PVA was easily superior to GG. OTOH, once the glue had set, to remove excess glue, there was no clear advantage of one adhesive over the other.
3. In terms of ease of removing excess glue (prior to it setting) from hand and clothing, PVA was very much the clear winner.
4. In terms of anticipated shelf life (including taking necessary precautions to maximize shelf life). PVA was preferable. This is based on the stated requirement with GG that the remaining air in the bottle must be squeezed out, prior to refitting the cap on the bottle's nozzle. Remarks in above posts (plus those read elsewhere) imply that if that is not done, the GG will self-cure in the bottle, thus rendering remaining adhesive useless. OTOH, yes, PVA will eventually become thick and difficult to use, but over a much longer time period - typically several months: much longer of kept in a container with a tight, well-fitting lid, thus preventing air intrusion. And even if the PVA has become thick, it can have its viscosity easily reduced by the simple expedient of adding tap water and thoroughly mixing it with the thick PVA. I know of no method / product for a similar procedure with GG, but acetone might be successful for that application. (Obviously, acetone is substantially more expensive than tap water!)
5. In terms of cost, £ per cc., PVA is more economical.

So for me, I will continue to use PVA for constructional joinery in softwood.

Al.

Last edited by Skywave; 2nd Nov 2017 at 12:29 am. Reason: Many. Objective: to make post as informative as possible.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 10:11 am   #44
ms660
Dekatron

Don't wipe off surplus PVA when gluing if you intend to stain the wood afterwards, best to leave it till it's "just right" then either peel or pare off and finish with a quick light sanding if needed.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 2:44 pm   #45
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for telling us your findings Al. All too often we have long threads that come to no conclusions at all.

B
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 4:24 pm   #46
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Gorilla Glue: your experiences & opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post
Don't wipe off surplus PVA when gluing if you intend to stain the wood afterwards, best to leave it till it's "just right" then either peel or pare off and finish with a quick light sanding if needed.
Yes, agreed: the latter part of your sentence is what I usually do - if staining will be subsequently required. Recently, all my woodworking projects have either been for the garden, so items have been subsequently painted, or internal repairs to the structure of this house, where the wood will not be seen or if it will be, then it has been painted to match its surroundings.
Finally, thank you for your comment.

Al.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 5:54 pm   #47
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

What Bazz says - thanks for sharing your findings so meticulously, Al.

Without wishing to contradict you (this doesn't,) the yellow adhesive version of Gorilla Glue is fantastic at joining all sorts of things together that would otherwise be problematic. The frothing property adds volume and gives form in a way that can hold 'difficult' objects.

For example, I glued 4 x 1uF metal-canned oil-filled capacitors to a lexan base and together, and I glued the lexan base to wood with a very pleasing bond. The result was really sturdy and the ugliness of the froth wasn't on display as the result was hidden away.

It would have taken a small fortune in epoxy resin to achieve the same result.
Old 2nd Nov 2017, 8:47 pm   #48
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

....and for so very many things, where would we be without our £1.99 hot-glue guns

B
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 12:20 pm   #49
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Gorilla Glue (the various types); PVA; hot melt glue; Araldite (and its comparables); 'Evostick' (again including similar products); 'Superglue' (cyanoacrylate) and other adhesives mentioned in this thread: we are spoilt for choice! Seems to me that it is a question of choosing the appropriate adhesive for the task in question - and that choice is simply made by recourse to personal experience gathered over time - like so many 'Can I fix this / how does it work?' questions that we face in our hobby.

Al.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 12:28 pm   #50
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

When they manage to produce a glue for polythene, success, that would stick everything.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 12:28 pm   #51
TimLiggins
Tetrode

Titebond Hide Glue does steam apart easily
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 1:46 pm   #52
Refugee
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
When they manage to produce a glue for polythene, success, that would stick everything.
Hot melt is the only thing I know of that works well with polythene.
It is basically low melt polythene.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 2:37 pm   #53
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Or PTFE...
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 6:18 pm   #54
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Gorilla Glue (the various types); PVA; hot melt glue; Araldite (and its comparables); 'Evostick' (again including similar products); 'Superglue' (cyanoacrylate) and other adhesives mentioned in this thread: we are spoilt for choice!
Very true! I can just about remember when the choice (for DIY, at least) was pretty much limited to hide glue, Seccotine or Copydex. Bostick and Evostick were revolutionary when they became available.
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 8:59 pm   #55
John M0GLN
Octode

Quote:
I know that PVA doesn't stick to polythene but when I come to unscrew the cap on my 5L polythene plastic container, I have to either use a large pair of Stillsons on it or clamp the cap in the bench vice and turn the container to remove it.

John
Old 3rd Nov 2017, 10:18 pm   #56
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalee20 View Post
Quote:
Or PTFE...
I have no idea how strong it is (never having used it), but the Loctite plastic
glue here :

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/sg_...ing-System.htm

claims to stick to polythene and teflon (== PTFE as far as I know)
Closed Thread