UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2020, 12:07 pm   #1
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Default Cooker ring element help

I have a element leaking to earth, I don't mind cutting, fitting grinding. Just asking for suggestions, of what to use as a replacment. I wondered if damp, how long may i need to leave it powered to dry out? Any help please. It is 7"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1688.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	206735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1689.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	206736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1690.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	206737  
Old 25th May 2020, 12:24 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Cooker ring element help

Your best bet is to take the element along to somewhere like Ajax Appliance Spares in Ipswich and see if they can recommend a replacement.

If left powered up some elements get better and some get worse as far as earth leakage is concerned.

I'd check that your cooker is earthed and that your RCD is functioning, just in case!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:46 pm   #3
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

The element got worse. Had it connected to a isolation transformer. Ajax has changed somewhat, not sure if they have the same helpful staff they used too. Last time they couldn't help without model number. Wanted bkue and red spot dryer toc s.
Old 25th May 2020, 12:49 pm   #4
Station X

Rings are generally specified by number of turns and wattage. Plenty of elements for sale online with pictures. You may find something you can modify.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-INCH-CO...oAAOxyTjNScT7~

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th May 2020, 1:28 pm   #5
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think those plug-in ring elements are close to unobtainable now (I couldn't get one about 25 years ago anyway). The normal repair is to get an element of the same power (or close to it) and diameter and join it to the old housing and plug pins.

I found a few ring elements when I cleared my late father's house. I think 2 or 3 screw terminal ones about 6" in diameter and a larger plug-in one. All brand new. They are currently sitting on a shelf here (I never throw anything away that might be useful). If anybody wants them I am happy to give them away but they will have to be collected (after Lockdown has been eased).
Old 25th May 2020, 1:47 pm   #6
BRASSBITS
Hexode

try Backer in Rotherham if they don't have one (highly unlikely ) they will make you one
Old 25th May 2020, 3:09 pm   #7
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I never think of the manufacturer.
Old 25th May 2020, 8:15 pm   #8
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Stuart, e spares are normally pretty good for elements. (disclaimer)

Ed
Old 25th May 2020, 9:55 pm   #9
bluepilot
Heptode

Often these rings suffer from damp if not used for a while. Simplest solution is to disconnect the cooker earth and turn them on for a while. Looks like you already tried powering it and that hasn't helped so that may not be the solution here.
A quick google (they can't touch you for it) turned up this place:
Cooker spares
They appear to have a 7" ring for all of a fiver.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
Old 25th May 2020, 11:42 pm   #10
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

Thanks for the info. I will try again tomorrow to heat it up. Have had that problem before. I used a isolation transformer but its only 500w so voltage down a bit. Maybe a bit hotter for longer. May have to adapt a newer ring to fit. The support has to go under it though.
Old 26th May 2020, 5:46 pm   #11
stuart_morgan_64
Heptode

I think I have found one, 7" 4 turn, which i think I can make fit, will have to cut the ring off, and make new holes, as I dont think I will be able to open the connection ends up. Ordered so will see
Old 27th May 2020, 2:58 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepilot View Post
Often these rings suffer from damp if not used for a while. Simplest solution is to disconnect the cooker earth and turn them on for a while. Looks like you already tried powering it and that hasn't helped so that may not be the solution here.
A quick google (they can't touch you for it) turned up this place:
Cooker spares
They appear to have a 7" ring for all of a fiver.
A reminder that operating an electric cooker without an earth connection is a potentially dangerous procedure. It should only be done in a controlled environment by people who understand the risks - if you're in any doubt, don't do it.
Old 27th May 2020, 5:52 pm   #13
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
A reminder that operating an electric cooker without an earth connection is a potentially dangerous procedure. It should only be done in a controlled environment by people who understand the risks - if you're in any doubt, don't do it.
Indeed.
Our last hob had solid hotplates and I got fed up with doing the above procedure, usually just before xmas when we needed all four hotplates working.

That amount of earth leakage would not have even been recognized as a fault in the days before RCDs, now it's a serious inconvenience.

Since then we have a new kitchen with a new hob. Can I extol the virtues of the induction hob for those who've never used one?

The responsiveness & controlability of "The fuel that dares not speak its name" in the forum.

"Flat screen" cleanability, and if it does go wrong it's like four simple TV line output stages inside, usually needing an easily obtainable transistor and bridge rectifier.
Old 11th Jul 2020, 10:23 pm   #14
Dennis M
Pentode

Why power up an element with no earth ?

Just take it out and cook it in another oven to drive out any moisture, a lot of these elements when new are treated this way before despatch.

Or cheat,on ovens if it is just tripping due to lack of use I have aimed a fan heater into the oven and had a cuppa with the customer while the fault clears.
Closed Thread