UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jul 2014, 5:53 pm   #1
ctc15
Pentode

Default Ekco CT104 (dual standard Pye)

This was about the last TV left in a closed TV shop..This was probably because the tube looked opaque but the cabinet was good so I took a chance and bought it. When I got it home I had a proper look at it and found it to be complete and in very good condition but had a big resistor in the HT feed to the Line output stage also the tube was not a A63-11X but a R.C.A. Twin-panel tube with total cataract of the screen which was the reason it was opaque so it was put to one side as I did not have a tube for it and the LOPT was probable dead. This is were it stayed till davidh1041 put it on my bench.
We took the tube out at which point the face plate came off. This tube tests good but is not safe in this condition so was wraped in bubble wrap and put to one side. I needed a replacement A63-11X tube and the only one I had was in a not very good Baird 701 also a Mazda regun not so good but it was all I had so it was fitted. The Line Output chassis was checked and the HT 400,400uf capacitor was split so was replaced.
The cover on the LOPT was removed and now the bad news the overwind was damaged and the core was broken so a tripler was not an option.
In the late 70s I replaced the LOPT in a dual standard Pye with a single standard LOPT and it worked so since I had a scrap single standard chassis I used the parts from that. The parts from that at fitted apart from one hole which had to be drilled as the single standard LOPT is 1/2in smaller.
I also had to fit a single standard focus unit. The system switch was locked in 625line position and aII the wiring and components are still in place so it can be put back to dual standard if a good LOPT comes along.
The TV was put back together for the big try out.
After it warmed up I had first light which was a good start I adjusted the EHT to 25kv tuned the TV to my colour bar generator and had colour bars reset the convergence (the blue lateral control fell apart and had to be replaced) grey scale etc and then tried a picture.The TV was working for the first time for a long time. The picture is a bit soft but is OK and the sound had intermittent slight distortion but this has now gone . I replaced the 3 PCL84s and the PL802 which has improved the picture. After it had been running for a few hours the colours looked odd this was due to the BF194 in the green colour drive going S/C it was replaced by a BF244L so it is working again.
I will run it for a few weeks to see how it runs before changing any more parts and to see if I can get it running on 405 lines with the single standard transformer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1932a.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	95397   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1936a.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	95398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1951.JPG
Views:	293
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	95399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1952.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	95400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1962.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	95401  

Old 21st Jul 2014, 9:11 pm   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Ekco CT104 (dual standard Pye)

Excellent results, well done. Chances are the primary of the original LOPT could be OK, so worth hanging onto. The EHT overwind etc looks very similar to the ones used on the Philips G6 chassis.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 22nd Jul 2014, 11:40 am   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Was the RCA tube original, do you think? I've only ever seen A63-11X CRTs in these sets.
Glyn
Old 23rd Jul 2014, 6:48 pm   #4
Mikey405
Octode

Brilliant set. Well done on sorting that out - Never seen a CT104 previously. I hope the panel comes off my dodgy RCA tube that easily.

Kind regards.

From Mike.
Old 24th Jul 2014, 2:48 pm   #5
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

Excellent job. Just one thing I thought the Dual standard pye chassis had the tall stack PSU line output stage to accommodate the GY501 and PD500 EHT valves. On your set it looks like the early single standard 691/693 unit. Was there a later version of the dual standard chassis that used a tripler unit instead?
Old 25th Jul 2014, 2:42 pm   #6
Tazman1966
Nonode

It is a dual standard one but modified. Note the lack of edge connectors on the top. Instead there are the odd collection of plugs and sockets near the frame timebase panel. Not a conversion I would have fancied doing! Well done though
Old 25th Jul 2014, 7:03 pm   #7
ctc15
Pentode

Hi It was a challenge but I think that is a large part of the fun of this hobby.

Hi Glyn I do not think the RCA tube is original. I do not have any knowledge of its history.

Hi Mikey If you do try to remove the panel from your RCA 21FJP22 use water to soak it off. Put it face down in a tub of water. It may not be quick but is better than a hot air gun as the tube may go BOOOOOM!
The next problem is what to use to fix it back with? Have a look at http://videokarma.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36 and search for cataracts.

Hi Simon I used the parts from a scrap single standard chassis the LOPT, tripler, all the screens, line shift and the beam limiter components. These circuit had to be modified to work with the dual standard chassis.
The LOPT, tripler and all the screens fited apart from the LOPT which had to have one hole drilled as it was 1/2in smaller .

The single standard Focus unit and Blue Lateral control came from DAVID1041 Thank you for your help.
Keith
Closed Thread