UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Mar 2021, 12:49 pm   #41
Devon60Ben
Tetrode

Default Re: Bush TV22A Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by beery View Post
Hi Ben,
That's great that you've had first light. I'm with everyone else on this, try moving the ion trap magnet first to see if that cures your picture shift/corner shadowing issues.

Back i the day when I had my own website, (Andy Valve's website), I used to recommend the TV22A over the TV22 for ease of restoration, due to the reliability of the line output transformer and the absence of the TV22's fragile frame blocking oscillator transformer.

I've restored a few TV22s, but only one TV22A. The performance seemed to be pretty much the same as the TV22, the only difference being the reliability.
BTW, the next evolution of the design, the TV43 (I have a similar T36) kept the nice line output transformer, but inexplicably brought back the nasty frame blocking oscillator transformer and had a frame output transformer with the same primary winding as the unreliable one from the TV12. The TV43 series are really different to get apart for servicing due to the tuning controls on the side of the RF unit. I'm glad that Bush had the sense not to persist with it and instead came up with the excellent TV53/56/62 chassis. As such it was the end of the TV22s stacked chassis layout, but better suited to the larger CRTs that were cabinet mounted as opposed to chassis mounted.

Anyway, all of that waffle was a way of saying that in my opinion, the TV22A was Bush's best stacked chassis. design.

Cheers
Andy
I like a bit of waffle Andy - it all helps to piece together fragments of info from many places. This set belongs to a friend of mine who's dad ran TV shops in Liverpool in the 50's / 60's and its the only souvenir from those days so he is keen to try to get it working and I stupidly said I would have a go!
But I am enjoying the challenge even though I am totally out of my depth.
if i can get the raster centred he want me to get a standards convertor to see if we can get a picture. What they are and how I should use it to get a picture is a complete mystery so far but I am sure with help it will become clear!!!
Old 31st Mar 2021, 7:20 am   #42
mark pirate
Dekatron

A standards converter is a device to enable any modern source, such as a Freeview box or DVD player to output a 405 line signal to your TV.

These are not cheap at around £200, there are two to look out for, the Aurora & Hegehog, both excellent units and work extremely well.

Mark
Old 31st Mar 2021, 7:59 am   #43
Devon60Ben
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark pirate View Post
A standards converter is a device to enable any modern source, such as a Freeview box or DVD player to output a 405 line signal to your TV.

These are not cheap at around £200, there are two to look out for, the Aurora & Hegehog, both excellent units and work extremely well.

Mark
Thanks very much Mark, I will start to look out for either as I'm feeling optimistic.
Closed Thread