UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Sep 2021, 2:23 pm   #21
paulsherwin

Default Re: LW/MW and has RTE gone now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
we have a large Irish/Irish heritage community. Protests followed and RTE backed down. Should RTE get clearance to put some output on UK DAB it will certainly go.
The irony is that RTE are removing RTE R1 from DAB in Ireland.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/...work-1.4499356
The Irish have never been very keen on DAB. There's never been the government commitment to it that there was in the UK, even though they launched later so could standardise on the much improved DAB+ standard.

There have been proposals to close 252kHz and put RTÉ1 on UK DAB or Freeview, but this was politically controversial in Ireland and not progressed.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 4:17 pm   #22
irishtv
Triode

My understanding is that it was RTE's intention to shut down 252 but following a very well co-ordinated protest campaign in Britain among many of the ex-patriate Irish the plan was modified by the Irish Government to get RTE R1 onto DAB in the biggest UK cities and once that was on the air, to then shut down 252.

The UK Government effectively kiboshed that plan by delaying the licencing of RTE R1 on DAB in GB indefinitely. In the absence of a licence to broadcast on DAB in parts of GB the Irish Government have extended funding to RTE to keep R1 on 252 until such time a DAB licence is granted in Britain.

The RTE LW transmitter is fully solid state (and DRM capable) so the Droitwich problem of a limited supply of transmitter valves doesn't arise.

So right now, I don't see 252 closing in the medium term.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 4:57 pm   #23
paulsherwin

Interesting, I didn't know the UK government were being awkward. It's probably something to do with RTÉ not being regulated by Ofcom.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 5:03 pm   #24
Junk Box Nick
Octode

My understanding is that there is/was some technical regulation issue that had to be overcome before RTE could come on DAB in the UK and that then it wouldn't just be a rebroadcast of RTE1 per se.

In my view RTE would be a useful addition on UK DAB and I am a little puzzled by such difficulties given that the likes of Russia Today, etc., are available on Freeview. Of course, there might be a political dimension but, in the spirit of the forum, let’s say no more on that.

With a bit of luck Algeria will stay quiet and there’ll be some listening to be had on our vintage sets for a while yet.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 5:25 pm   #25
michamoo
Hexode

I actually am missing the Algerian broadcasts as they played some good music into the early nours on weekends.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 5:27 pm   #26
paulsherwin

RT is regulated by Ofcom (supposedly, anyway). There are legal and political difficulties with RTÉ agreeing to be governed by a UK regulator. It's a pity, as I'd certainly like to see RTÉ1 on my local DAB mux, and I'm not even Irish.
Old 9th Sep 2021, 6:51 pm   #27
KeithsTV
Nonode

RTE 1 is available on Freesat along with RTE 2FM, RTE Lyric fm and RTE RnaG (I assume the last one is a Gaelic station) Freesat channels 750 to 753.

Keith
Old 10th Sep 2021, 11:26 am   #28
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by michamoo View Post
I actually am missing the Algerian broadcasts as they played some good music into the early nours on weekends.
I’m missing France Inter – some interesting stuff turned up on there too.

The magic of searching the wavebands for interesting transmissions wafting in from far away is fast becoming just a memory.
Old 10th Sep 2021, 4:29 pm   #29
PaulE27
Pentode

Try listening to Romania on 153 kHz now DLF has gone. The signal booms in at night, and I have never heard anything like it. Romanian folk music, I expect!
Old 11th Sep 2021, 2:08 pm   #30
Pfraser
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
RTE 1 is available on Freesat along with RTE 2FM, RTE Lyric fm and RTE RnaG (I assume the last one is a Gaelic station) Freesat channels 750 to 753.

Keith
What would be really handy, would be a radio that could pick up Freesat radio stations. ISTR a domestic satellite radio receiver was introduced several years ago; it had some sort of flat panel aerial. I suppose the challenge would be achieving enough sensitivity for the set to function if placed by a window.
Closed Thread