UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2020, 12:30 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Another Ferrograph Series 7

Have purchased another Series 7, all I really know about it, is that it has a nice looking wooden case and it is supposed to power up.

Expecting delivery by the seller very shortly.

First port of call will be to check out the 3 Idler wheels and the Pinch Wheel condition. Exciting !
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:08 pm   #2
barrymagrec
Octode

Default Re: Another Ferrograph Series 7

Are you attempting to corner the Ferrograph market?
Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:26 pm   #3
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Its arrived, first visual impression is that it looks quite reasonable at least cosmetically externally, but of course as always needs a good clean.

It has mini Bulgin mains power plug and cable, there is no lifting handle. No obvious model number but Ferrograph label say part number 020-046.

The wooden cabinet has clothe speaker grills but no speakers and I assume no power amps, maybe later I can fit the speakers and power amps from my incomplete Series 7 unit.

Everything indicates it is a Mk. 2 including the User manual, Parts List and full size (great !) schematic.

Some miscellaneous sized spools and 2 small tapes.

Off out soon but later will check out the idler wheels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_115353124_BURST001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	199318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_115434244.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	199319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_115733875.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	199320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_115740391.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	199321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_115153250.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	199322  

Old 19th Feb 2020, 1:27 pm   #4
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
Are you attempting to corner the Ferrograph market?
You never know
Old 19th Feb 2020, 3:38 pm   #5
SteveCG
Nonode

There is a lifting handle - you just have to winkle it out! See the instruction book.

Looks to have a good (replacement) pinch wheel - I hope your idlers are alright as well.

I think the two metal spools (7" and 8 1/4") are for the earlier Ferrographs - but would need a close-up picture to tell definitely.

All in all, looks to be in good nick.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 4:47 pm   #6
Mistral13
Triode

As Steve said, you do have a lifting handle - its that bar running across the top of all the socketry. The trick is to push one end in under the lip of the case and then lift the pushed end upwards - mine had a handy hi tech helper atached to make the job easier . . . a loop of string!

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:07 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

However, you need to put the handle in the fully inserted position (as it is now) to get the machine out of the case.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:22 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Yes I realised afterwards that it did have a lifting handle, it was so well recessed missed it (thought it was strange not to have the handle).

With handle lifted then could see the Ferrograph Model number label, it is a 704 with no Prefix or Suffix letter. So it is a stereo 4 track without speakers/amps.

The original Ferrograph label I spotted with a part number, I think was just a piece part part number, maybe for the metalwork.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:33 pm   #9
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Label and metal spools, the 7" spool is very grubby/marked, particularly on the other side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Label.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	199334   Click image for larger version

Name:	Metal Spools.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	199335  
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:34 pm   #10
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I thought you'd found the handle at the beginning of your previous thread, when you wanted to locate the model No [it is hidden under the handle with the serial No as well]. I was glad you asked as I hadn't spotted the handle either

I was pleased to have the numbers but given the weight of these machines, I might not trust the Aluminium handle entirely.

Dave W
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:34 pm   #11
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
However, you need to put the handle in the fully inserted position (as it is now) to get the machine out of the case.
And remove the fuse holder caps.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:40 pm   #12
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I thought you'd found the handle at the beginning of your previous thread, when you wanted to locate the model No [it is hidden under the handle with the serial No as well]. I was glad you asked as I hadn't spotted the handle either

I was pleased to have the numbers but given the weight of these machines, I might not trust the Aluminium handle entirely.

Dave W
Yes I had found the handle on the previous metal cased Series 7s, but on this wooden cased one the handle seemed not to be there, as it was fully recessed/pushed down. Maybe on the metal cased ones the handles were not fully down so easier to see that they were there, after Peter said look under the handle for the label.

David
Old 19th Feb 2020, 5:43 pm   #13
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Sorry it was not Peter who had said under the handle, it was Dave (nutteronthebus).
Old 19th Feb 2020, 6:23 pm   #14
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Got it out of it case, needs a good clean, but looks like everything is there and no major damage.

As really expected the 3 idler wheels are soft and starting to turn to goo, not as bad as the 2 metal cased Series 7s but not usable. Have ordered another 3 Series 5 idlers as replacements.

There is a little board above the tape counter with a few components and 2 micro-switches, there is a cooked resistor on the board where one end has fallen off or has been cut off, so will need to check that out further.

On the middle right there is a contactor where there is decomposing material (looks like foam) at the top of the actuated arm, saw very similar also on the 2 metal cased Series 7s.

A quick cursory glance at the heads and the pinch wheel, they looked not too bad.

The Line input jacks are standard 2 pole mono, so no isolating transformers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	199339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	199340   Click image for larger version

Name:	Idler wheels.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	199341   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cooked resistor.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	199342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Contactor arm.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	199343  

Old 19th Feb 2020, 7:43 pm   #15
Ferrograph723
Triode

Nice! Looks really clean.
Old 19th Feb 2020, 8:35 pm   #16
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Ok I get it now. Two different ways of hiding the handle-I didn't expect that Maybe they were too focused on those and the overall look, rather than upgrading the drive mechanism [as was said in the other thread that I mentioned].

Dave W
Old 19th Feb 2020, 10:25 pm   #17
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Just been having a quick look at the cooked resistor on the small board above the tape counter. It is R110 a 15 ohm, it measures 16 ohms so is not burnt out but looks overheated and stressed.

At the board it is not connected to anything, one end is cut off and the other end goes to a terminal pin, but nothing else is connected. On the schematic it is shown connected to a capacitor C100 a 0.1uF 250V AC working.

C100 & R110 are in series, connected across microswitch SW102 (one of the 2 microswitches on the board) , SW102 is the motors start switch and switches the 240 volt live to the motors circuitry.

I guess R110 & C100 are effectively a snubber to quench/filter any arcing across the microswitch to protect its contacts and reduce any RFI noise into the audio amplifier.

I have some 0.1uF 275VAC X2 Filter/Suppression capacitors, so one of these will be ideal to use as missing C100 replacement.

The wiring connections at the little board are a right mess, obviously wires have been unsoldered/resoldered (messily). Hopefully with tidying the wires up (just cosmetic) and a new capacitor and resistor there won't be any more problems in that area.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 2:06 pm   #18
SteveCG
Nonode

Re the spools in post no. 9:

Thanks for the enlarged photos. Yes, those spools are indeed for the earlier generation of Ferrographs. I found they did not work well on a Series 7 set up for the normal spool wall thickness - scraping was one of the problems. I can't remember definitively now but I think you can alter the height of the spool table. Fortunately you have the user manual to check. My advice is to stick to the normal spool height setting.

Other than that - your 704 looks in good cosmetic shape! You just need to find out if anything else has been altered - I'm thinking here of your C100 issue.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 6:21 pm   #19
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Thank you for the spool information, I will fully check out the spool height situation once I get it running and will look out for any other changes/missing parts.
Old 20th Feb 2020, 8:22 pm   #20
DMcMahon
Dekatron

The contactor referenced in my Post # 14, I now see is the Run Solenoid, its armature plate is mounted to the sprung loaded long aluminium arm (via some sort of sprung loaded adjustment), which in turn operates the pinch roller mechanism.

The decomposing material (foam like possibly) looks like it was on the rear and front faces of the armature plate.

Does anybody body know the function of the armature plate material ? and if any Series 7 owners have one where the material has not decomposed, it would be useful please to see a photo of what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mk. 2 Run Solenoid Armature.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	199396  
Closed Thread