UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Feb 2020, 6:57 pm   #1
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Advice wanted on a Philips N1702 problem please.

Hi everyone,

I was recently given a Philips N1702 VCR, and after changing the belts and a quick internal clean up I've found that there's a fault with the powering up.

When the power on button is pressed the video head motor spins briefly and the whole drum assembly turns as it should then the drum assembly returns to the unlaced position and shuts off after a few seconds. The green power on LED doesn't light up either. I've changed the head/capstan motor assembly for a known working assembly but the problem is still there.

Is this a likely power supply problem, and if so, where should I start looking/testing? I only have a multimeter to check basic stuff and no oscilloscope unfortunately.

Anyone with previous knowledge of these old beasts could you let me know if it's a common problem or a sign of something more serious please?

Many thanks,
Richard.
Old 13th Feb 2020, 8:18 pm   #2
nigelr2000
Heptode

Default Re: Advice wanted on a Philips N1702 problem please.

Have you got a tape in it? if not it wont stay laced. There is a little tape present sense stick in the bottom cassette compartment (can't think of a better name for it!), if you hold it down it will stay laced up to test if it's all working mechanically before you try a real tape
Old 13th Feb 2020, 9:10 pm   #3
Snarf81
Heptode

Default Re: Advice wanted on a Philips N1702 problem please.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I've tried it with a tape and it still cuts out a few seconds after lacing the tape. The head motor briefly spins for a few seconds.

Thanks again
Richard.
Closed Thread