UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Sep 2019, 11:02 am   #1
wenzelip
Diode

Default Freeplay FPR2 wind-up radio circuit diagram

Hi , I acquired a freeplay wind up radio , the original one, much googling did nor turn up a circuit diagram, so I decided to trace it through and see if I could draw it out.
I will try to attaching a PDF of what I found, this a bit scrappy, but should help anyone to get started on faultfinding mostly it is similar to the U2510B datasheet.

This set turned out to have a collapsed tuning capacitor, one of the miniature ones that I used to call a polyvaricon type, all the vanes had become mashed up inside, I sourced something suitable on Ebay , this was obviously not the only problem , the speaker was completely dead, not something I have found very often.

Anyway it then worked, but the final problem was that the new tuning cap was taller than the original and fouled the generator gears, I ended up fitting a sealing strip all round the case join to provide the clearance..

Was it worth all that? probably not , but I used to live near Trevor Baylis in Twickenham and talk to him occasionally, a nice chap, and this radio is probably what he will be most remembered for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Freeplay-radio.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	189599  
Old 11th Sep 2019, 11:52 pm   #2
kolleykibber
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Freeplay FPR2 wind-up radio circuit diagram

Appreciate this. thank you. I bought a load of these back in the late 90s and gave them out as gifts. They were the bluetooth picnic radios of the time. I have one now which has been left out in the rain and needs a bit of work. Completely not worth the time, but hey.
Closed Thread