UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Feb 2020, 1:14 pm   #1
SoundSean
Diode

Default Sharp music centre SG-315E

Hi all,

Apologies for posting on the main board but I couldn't find a specific category to post this question... I have a Sharp music centre SG-315E. It's been amazing for me over the many years that I've owned it however all of a sudden when a record finishes the arm does no loner reset, I have had a look underneath and cant seem to find anything broken or out of place.

Any idea what might have caused this and anyway that I could possibly go about fixing it?

Any help or a point in the right direction would be massively appreciated.
Old 21st Feb 2020, 3:32 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Sharp music centre SG-315E

If, as many do, the SG315E, uses a cam gear (which will be clearly visible if you remove the platter - on most Japanese decks they just pull off - check that the gear is working correctly, and, in particular, that the two metal pieces are free to move. This type of mechanism relies on these parts being free to move as they are 'tripped' at the end of the record.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 12:50 pm   #3
SoundSean
Diode

Default Sharp music centre SG-315E tone arm wont reset

Good Morning all,

I hope you can help, apologies if this isn't in the right place,
but ive had a sharp music centre sg-315e for many years now and never had any problems but all of a sudden the tone arm wont reset when the record is finished. Everything else is working but it just wont reset, any ideas what the problem could be or how I could go about fixing it? Any help would be massively appreciated.

Last edited by SoundSean; 25th Feb 2020 at 12:58 pm.
Old 25th Feb 2020, 1:52 pm   #4
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Sharp music centre SG-315E tone arm wont reset

Do you mean by "re-set" that it does not return to its rest, lower down to it and switch off? If so, does it just stay in the run-out groove and not trip?
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:39 pm   #5
SoundSean
Diode

Hi Edward-

Spot on, starts making a ticking sound and will only reset once I pull the lever I have cleaned and lubed up everything top and bottom but still no joy...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_110344.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	199788   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_110836.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	199789  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:41 pm   #6
SoundSean
Diode

Default Re: Sharp music centre SG-315E

Thanks I have cleaned everything top and bottom and lubed (wd40) all moving parts but still no joy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200227_110344.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	199790   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200227_110836.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	199791  
Old 27th Feb 2020, 1:56 pm   #7
Station X

Two threads merged.

I'm not familiar with the operation of these decks, but the equivalent of the trip pawl should not be lubricated. It relies on friction for its operation.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ead.php?t=8936

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 27th Feb 2020, 2:59 pm   #8
Kentode
Octode

This is the trip pawl Sean. Prise the EClip off and degrease the two pieces then reassemble dry, with no grease or oil.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200227_135522.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	199793  

BVWS member
Old 27th Feb 2020, 3:53 pm   #9
SoundSean
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post
This is the trip pawl Sean. Prise the EClip off and degrease the two pieces then reassemble dry, with no grease or oil.

Hope this helps.
Cheers Ken appreciate it, I'll give it a try later and update you in the morning.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 10:30 am   #10
SoundSean
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentode View Post

Hope this helps.
Morning Ken, quick update, so its definitely done something as when the record ends its no longer making the clicking sound but not resetting the arm, but it feels like its close, however I think my major problem is how greasy all the components are on that top unit! So I'm going to take the weekend to take it all apart and give it a good clean/ dry off, hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks again and Ill update you next week!
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 2:03 pm   #11
SoundSean
Diode

Afternoon All,

Just a quick update I have cleaned and de greased the Trip paw however its still far to loose for it to trigger the return arm, i'm just trying to work out how I can stiffen it up!
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 7:44 pm   #12
Audio1950
Dekatron

It should be loose! It relies on friction between the two parts of the trip to operate correctly. The bottom part moves as the arm travels across the record, and as the bottom part moves, it takes the top part with it. As the arm reaches the end of the record, the top piece is knocked back, so that it doesn't engage with the turntable. As the arm goes in faster at the run in groove of the record, it goes too rapidly to be knocked back, so the cog on the turntable catches the top part of the trip, and pushes it round, so that the cog on the turntable and the one big white wheel mesh and turn the mechanism. Whatever you do, DON'T stiffen the trip, or it will never work.
Closed Thread