UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:14 pm   #1
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Default Anyone recommend a good paint/varnish stripper

Hi chaps

I need some recommendations for a good varnish remover, for years i've been working through a 20 year old gallon tin of Nitromors and ran out a couple of weeks ago, I'm starting the restoration of a early PYE Tv which requires the case stripping so went and bought a tin of Nitromors from the local DIY shop on the tin is tays improved formula now twice as strong.
despite following the instructions to the letter i can only describe it as useless after four applications I'm still not down to the wood with the old stuff i had, one application and 10 minuets later you where back to bare wood. i think it's all to do with the banning of Dichloromethane from paint stripper.

Jay
Old 8th Jun 2011, 10:30 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Anyone recommend a good paint/varnish stripper

Hi Jay i was a bit apprehensive when buying some stripper from Home base but i must say it does what it says on the tin and quite a bit cheaper than nitromors.

i have noticed in the past that some cabinets do take several applications .
Closed Thread