UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2011, 6:13 pm   #1
terrybull
Octode

Default Help in identification please

A friend recently passed away and clearing a storeroom(s) he had I came accross these. I dare say they are dated now. What are they. Are they worth anything. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multiplexers.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	50239  
Old 28th Apr 2011, 8:30 pm   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: Help in identification please

Hi Terry I used to maintain CRAYCOM kit in the 80's and early 90's. I think they were based in Frimley this was in X25 days. I might still have my hanbooks somewhere. I would doubt these have any value but you never know!
I cant quite see what sort of port these units have most of the ones I looked after were for Telephone and Mixed Data on 2.048MBPS pipes interfacing to PABX equipment they use quadruple compression to achieve 9.6K Audio channels just like a 2G mobile phone We often used to sit them on the end of Sprint TP4000 X25 switches. This was before Sprint which was in partnership with Plessey got taken over by Alcatel when Plessey got carved up by GEC and Siemens. A real Blast from the past for me!

Have fun Mike T
Old 28th Apr 2011, 8:57 pm   #3
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

A kind of adaptor for multiple terminals on one connection. (simplified explanation)

Totally obsolete and worthless.
Old 28th Apr 2011, 9:27 pm   #4
terrybull
Octode

For the skip then. Many thanks for your help. This can be close mod.
Old 28th Apr 2011, 10:01 pm   #5
paulsherwin

They look like statistical multiplexers. If so, they were used to multiplex a number of RS232 connections over a single data cable or X25 circuit in the 80s.

They only have scrap value now, but they would make good project boxes and may have useful parts (mains transformers etc) inside. Worth having a look before you skip them.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 4:45 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Yes, there may be some useful parts in the PSU sections; and even those chassis are of a size that might come in handy to someone building a project.
Old 29th Apr 2011, 1:33 pm   #7
terrybull
Octode

If anyone wants them you are welcome to them. Does this want moving to the offered section?
Old 29th Apr 2011, 4:20 pm   #8
neon indicator
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsherwin View Post
They look like statistical multiplexers. If so, they were used to multiplex a number of RS232 connections over a single data cable or X25 circuit in the 80s.

They only have scrap value now, but they would make good project boxes and may have useful parts (mains transformers etc) inside. Worth having a look before you skip them.
Agree with all points.
Old 3rd May 2011, 1:57 pm   #9
paul.brett
Tetrode

Are you going to the Spalding Radio Rally on 5th June? If you could bring them there, that would be great.

Thanks.

Paul.