UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Oct 2014, 11:19 am   #21
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Default Re: Forum slow loading?

Yes it is all flying today.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 12:18 pm   #22
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Nothing has changed on the server. Still, it's good to know that whatever was causing the problem is now OK.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 10th Oct 2014, 7:37 pm   #23
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Folks, mine is now behaving OK again.

Ed
Old 10th Oct 2014, 9:05 pm   #24
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's painfully slow tonight and was sporadically slow last night as well. Yes I'm on plusnet.
Old 10th Oct 2014, 9:32 pm   #25
McMurdo
Dekatron

a return to the forum 30 mins after my previous post and its back up to speed
Old 10th Oct 2014, 9:49 pm   #26
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I'd need exact times to have anything to get the hosting company to look at. The also others can comment whether it was slow for them at the same times or not.

Also whether it's slow or not on the other two sites I mentioned - see my earlier post.

Paul Stenning
Old 11th Oct 2014, 9:30 am   #27
Paul Stenning
Administrator

There is one issue with the server currently, which may affect page load times only when posting in the forum (it won't affect load times when just viewing threads).

This issue is slow email sending from PHP scripts on webpages - typically 0.5s per email whereas it should be well under 0.1s. If a number of people have subscribed to the thread or section you are posting in, and the server needs to email them all, that could significantly slow the page load. However it would still need quite a few emails before it became a significant issue.

Modern forum software would send the emails asynchronously as a separate task to avoid the problem, but this old vBulletin doesn't do that.

The hosting company are looking at the slow email issue, but it is a low priority issue.

If you are having the speed issue please say whether it is when reading/viewing the threads or just when posting. That will quickly show whether it is this issue or not.

Also note that between midnight and 4am (UK time) the server runs various updates and backups which will impact performance - this is why they are done during the lowest usage period.

Paul Stenning

Last edited by Paul Stenning; 11th Oct 2014 at 9:33 am. Reason: Added last sentence
Old 11th Oct 2014, 3:19 pm   #28
McMurdo
Dekatron

I've just logged on at 15:05 and it's taken 2 or 3 minutes with the screen saying 'you are now logged on' with a green clockwise circular thing. At the bottom it says 'waiting for vintage wireless forum'. Its slow just navigating. Rest of web ok
Old 11th Oct 2014, 3:39 pm   #29
Paul Stenning
Administrator

What about the other two websites on this server that I specifically asked about? I keep asking for the same information but it is never forthcoming.

Paul Stenning
Old 11th Oct 2014, 9:36 pm   #30
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Here, this 'slow loading' phenomenon is not restricted to this site only and it is very intermittent in its occurrence. I am getting the same problem on many other sites that I regularly visit, BBC News being one of them. This problem has been manifest here for a few weeks now. (HDD gets regularly defragmented; system checks are frequently run). I reckon it's an Internet problem and thus out of our control to totally eliminate.
ISP is EE (formerly Orange); browser is Firefox v.12; O/S is Windows 2000 + SP4; router/gateway is a Thomson TG585 v.7

Al. / Oct. 11, '14 //
Old 11th Oct 2014, 10:29 pm   #31
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning View Post
What about the other two websites on this server that I specifically asked about? I keep asking for the same information but it is never forthcoming.
I just browsed around the other two sites briefly and no issues there for me. It was fine the other day when I checked too but I was on a friend's machine so didn't report. Seems perfectly fine.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 11:08 am   #32
Refugee
Dekatron

There was a big outage yesterday that affected customers using copper terminations maintained by BT.
The problem I had that was fixable with a router reset appears to have cleared up now.
Perhaps they were related.
Closed Thread