UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Nov 2011, 9:58 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Fluke 79 Mk II raised from the dead

Answered a freegle advert today for a DMM and was handed over a Fluke 79. Nice one your all thinking but not so. It had obviously been kicking around in an electricians toolkit for all it's life and was covered with plaster and deep gouges and scratches. I gingerly took it to the car and put it on the floor to save the seats from the mess and of course when I got it home it didn't work.

I got the manual off the WWW for nought and measured in a few places to discover the PSU was not right. Inspection revealed some water damage in one corner and although it looked OK, a few continuity checks identified the wayward track. A bit of micro-surgery with the soldering iron, switched on, and amazingly it works and compares well with my 4.5 digit DMM.

I T-cut the plastic bezel so I could see through it, blew the plaster off the works, doused the switch in IPA, and played with it for a while...and now I fully appreciate why you guys are constantly saying these are the best. I am now a beleiver, these are the Tek of the DMM world.

If anyone has a spare case screw I know just the place it would fit.
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 1:59 am   #2
fetteler
Octode

Default Re: Fluke 79 Mk II raised from the dead

Nice going
The Fluke 79 is a very handy meter - I've got one and it has been just great although it has a display problem now. Reading your success story has made me inclined to have another look at it after all these years. The display is generally faint and has some odd digits - zeros tend to look like eights sometimes - I remember giving up with it after fitting a new LCD and a really good clean with IPA didn't effect a cure. Your comments about the power supply have made me think again; maybe the LCD isn't being driven properly? Also (back in the day) I was working without the benefit of the manual and circuit diagram.
I found the low Ohms and capacitance ranges very useful.

Cheers,
Steve.

PS I'm a case screw missing too!!!

Last edited by fetteler; 2nd Nov 2011 at 2:01 am. Reason: smiley and PS
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 10:36 am   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

After blowing up a few of the early DMMs by trying to measure the reisistance of the mains and other silly things I eventually bought a Fluke which so far has proved indestructable apart from the display crumbling at one edge, not sufficient to interfere with readings yet. It cost about £80.00 which was a lot of money back then but the auto shut down has probably saved me that in PP3s in the intervening years.

Peter
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 11:28 am   #4
Alistair D
Nonode

A 79 MK1 was my preferred meter at work for many years. I always found the display to have less contrast than the other meters in the range. The only problem I had with mine was the function switch end stop broke off the case so that the switch could be turned past the off position.

Al
Old 2nd Nov 2011, 12:56 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

I am going to splash out (about £3) and get a set of new screws via my brother in the USA. Steve, I'll let you know if it works out and you can have one of my spares.
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 12:26 am   #6
fetteler
Octode

Excellent. You are very kind - thanks

Steve.

Last edited by fetteler; 3rd Nov 2011 at 12:27 am. Reason: punctuation
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 2:18 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair D View Post
A 79 MK1 was my preferred meter at work for many years. Al
Not a 79 but this 77 still is. Complete with current cal sticker as well.

E-Z hooks for general use though, rather than the OE prods.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluke77.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	58153  
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Nov 2011, 10:45 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Contrast seems good on this one, I am not too sure what ages LCD's, use or environment. The screws have been bought but as seller would only ship to USA they have to journey via Florida.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fluke 79 MkII.JPG
Views:	1524
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	58165  
Closed Thread