UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2011, 8:07 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Philips V5A wavechange knob.

I have a truly stuck wavechange knob. Can someone advise if the screw is threaded into the knob or into a hole in the shaft?

Tried oil, heat, levering, hammering...I am running out of ideas. If it's threaded into the shaft I'll have to try to drill it out.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 8:24 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Anyone got a Philips V5A?

It's threaded into the shaft.

Be careful drilling though, if you end up drilling straight through the shaft you'll go through the other side of the knob too - probably wrecking it. The knob is a hollow moulding and quite fragile.

If you do have a mishap, I have a knob (and grubscrew) here which you can have.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 8:39 pm   #3
PJL
Dekatron

That was quick! Thanks Darren, my fears are confirmed and of course thanks for your very generous offer. The radio is in a terrible state but I'll post a success story when done.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 8:47 pm   #4
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Try Plusgas Formula A dismantling lubricant, leave for 24 hours after soaking, if this doesn't work nothing will!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plusgas.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	52600  

Last edited by geofy; 17th Jun 2011 at 8:55 pm.
Old 17th Jun 2011, 9:15 pm   #5
Alistair D
Nonode

Maybe some freezer spray on the screw head to try and shrink the threads a little.

Al
Old 17th Jun 2011, 10:25 pm   #6
PJL
Dekatron

It's looking like I will have to saw the knob off and go for Darren's spare. My suspicion is the threaded pin extends through the shaft and out the other side and into the knob on the opposite side. Drilling out the pin to the shaft will not free the knob. Drilling all the way through will then wreck the shaft.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 12:36 am   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The knob is a hollow moulding, as opposed to a solid lump. Moulded into the underside of the knob is a boss into which the shaft locates. This boss is fragile, has an entry hole for the grubscrew but there's no diametrically opposite hole. If there was, the grubscrew could be turned right through the knob with no means of tightening it.

It's therefore logical to assume the tapped hole in the shaft is blind. Unfortunately I no longer have the wavechange switch itself so cannot confirm.

I'll post a picture of the underside of the knob in the morning as it may prove useful for other members at some point.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 3:14 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Philips V5A wavechange knob.

Right, now I've dug the knob out I can be a bit more accurate. The tapped hole in the shaft is straight through - not blind.

The grubscrew goes through the shaft and clamps onto the solid bakelite of the knob's boss diametrically opposite it's entry hole. Overtighten and the knob, or rather its boss, will likely fracture.

Images attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K01.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	52635   Click image for larger version

Name:	K02.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	52636  
Old 18th Jun 2011, 7:35 pm   #9
PJL
Dekatron

Thanks so much for all the effort Graham. Drilling out is not an option then.

I hate to do it, but I think wrecking the knob is the only option. There are some black caps and rotten insulation that I can't reach without removing the RF chassis. The Philips black caps have so far proved to be in worse condition than the normal types.
Old 18th Jun 2011, 9:05 pm   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I'm at something of a loss to see how it could be drilled out anyway, given that the knob is so close to the side of the cabinet. The only thing which would allow you to get close enough to the cabinet to drill at 90deg to the shaft would be a pin chuck, but you'd still be twiddling away at Christmas with one of those.

One other thought, is it possible to disconnect the wavechange switch from the RF chassis from inside the radio? If it is, you could remove the chassis and leave the switch in situ. From memory though, it's awkward to access but it might be possible with the power supply chassis removed.
Closed Thread