UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jun 2011, 10:29 am   #1
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default DIY Plating kits.

This subject has been touched on briefly before, but has anyone actually had any experience with the Nickel Plating kits that are available? I'm thinking of the type that use a "wand" dipped in solution and wiped over the article. They are usually around the £45 - £50 mark. I have so many gramophone fittings that have to be replated, I'm thinking it may be worth getting one.

With the greatest respect, please no suggestions that I buy loads of chemicals, batteries, anodes, etc, etc, and do it myself. I don't do chemistry!!

Barry
Old 6th Jun 2011, 10:54 am   #2
geofy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: DIY Plating kits.

There are probably engineering firms that could re-plate parts for you, cheaper in the long run and less messing around for you.

Rust is only inert if absolutely dry, and if something is completely rusty it will have no structural integrity. The idea of rust prevention is to save the iron that hasn't yet gone rusty. If untreated iron will continue to turn into iron oxide.
Old 6th Jun 2011, 12:18 pm   #3
Panrock
Nonode

I've had good results from the Barvic kit when replating screening cans.

But more recently, I tried to replate the viking head off my Rover P4 radiator grille using the 'super-bright' (ie. chrome appearance) version of the kit. This time the results were poor. Whether the plating bath had 'gone off' from standing (sealed) for several years I don't know...
Old 6th Jun 2011, 2:44 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

I remember an article in one of the classic motor/motorcycle magazines in the 70s on these brush-on versus immersion-bath kits. The brush-type were pretty useless! Their only advantage was if you couldn't dismantle a fitted item... but the plating was pretty superficial.

And therin lies the secret to good plating, dismantling the component parts to get them back to good, clean, bright pitted-free metal. I long thought about a bath kit back then, but could never justify the 'high' cost... and I was rich in those days!
Old 9th Jun 2011, 12:01 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

Hmmm, that doesn't sound too good an idea, then. I will try a few engineering firms, though, thanks for the suggestion.
I do have a very good firm locally that does my plating, the problems being that a) because they are good, they are getting increasingly busier, and waiting time is now two or three months, and b)I'm spending more on the replating than the gramophone cost me in the first place!

Barry
Closed Thread