UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2011, 1:59 pm   #1
ms660
Dekatron

Default Broken Stud

A small unf stud as broken off flush with the cabinet off a piece of gear I have, removing what is left is not an option, is there anyway of affixing a new piece of stud to the old one without turning the cabinet to molten metal! Any body had positive results? The nut and washer that fits on it would never be homed tight again after a suitable repair.
Thanks.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 2:18 pm   #2
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Thumbs up Re: Broken Stud

I have just repaired some spot welded studs on my AR88 using an epoxy metal weld called "JB", weld. This stuff is available online or at some car shops. I was very skeptical about the claims they make for the stuff but I can vouch that it mended my AR88 facia and took the full weight of the chassis (100 lb) while putting the set back into it's cabinet! I was very happy with the results. Its quite cheap and is a two part mix like the usual epoxy resin but looks quite different and needs a full 24 hours to set fully (I left mine for 2 days to be certain).
Hope this helps?
Paul
Old 7th Jun 2011, 4:59 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Broken Stud

Thanks my friend, I will certainly give it a go when I am ready. It's a WOW with the AR88, I have one of these and know the studs you mentioned, don't suppose you have any AR88 bits for sale, have just put in a request in the parts wanted section of this forum.
Thanks.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 5:18 pm   #4
kalee99
Rest in Peace

Smile Re: Broken Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Thanks my friend, I will certainly give it a go when I am ready. It's a WOW with the AR88, I have one of these and know the studs you mentioned, don't suppose you have any AR88 bits for sale, have just put in a request in the parts wanted section of this forum.
Thanks.
Hi,
Sorry no AR88 bits other than one or two metal valves. Just finished mine and intend to hang onto it for a while. It was so heavy I think it will be staying where we put it after repair for quite a while I am mighty impressed with the performance especially on Medium wave where for the very first time I am hearing the stations I prefer without interference and amazing clarity!
Paul
Old 7th Jun 2011, 5:30 pm   #5
ms660
Dekatron

Default Re: Broken Stud

Yes paul they are a good receiver when everything is as it should be...alignment etc, can't move mine because of my back!
Thanks.
Lawrence.
Closed Thread