UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Old 1st Dec 2023, 1:45 am   #21
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Default Re: Hitachi TV - 32LD6600 - Power On Takes A Few Attempts - Powers Off OK - Why Is Th

Is anyone able to circle caps on the picture I've uploaded that have been mentioned that could be causing the problem? I can't identify the caps that were mentioned even with bright light and magnifying glass. I do see the two 1000UF 16V but not any others location.

I don't mind replacing a few caps like the 4 that I have circled from last year but that leaves another 14 - 18 caps. Too much hassle for minor fault.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi - 17PW15-8 (4).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	289064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hitachi - 17PW15-8.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	289065  
SpyguyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 3:25 am   #22
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Hitachi TV - 32LD6600 - Power On Takes A Few Attempts - Powers Off OK - Why Is Th

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyguyUK View Post
Anyway someone said that even though it's exact same board for that TV - Hitachi TV - 32LD6600B it made have been manufactured at another factory or on another run/production line that may be reason for dull picture so I just replaced caps. I didn't mind doing this but I'm now thinking maybe the missing pin was causing dull picture on TV!
Could be the missing pin indeed, but in general Vestel produces TV sets in batches (all in the same factory I think) according to availability of major parts such as LCD panels and likely according to how they can produce as many different OEM models as possible at the same time with as little major differences as possible (i.e. only 3 or 4 PCB designs running at a time but stuffed differently for different sets and the same model set may be carried over to a next generation design). They got better at that with later models, which means you have to match up various code numbers on the set (that's why Vestel type labels have so many numbers on them) or on the PCB itself. 17MBxxx, 17PWxx etc are increasingly rough indications of the general design and the PCB used.

Though for older sets like this, it might not be that bad.
Maarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 9:48 am   #23
vidjoman
Dekatron

Quote:
All the circled caps were replaced. The photo is before replacement. I think I did the green circle as well. All the blue circled caps have been replaced for sure. Any ideas?
Although you replaced several caps last year they may be faulty now. They may not have been the correct type for use in switch mode power supplies even though the value and voltage were the same.

You appear to be trying to get it working without doing any testing. When connected to the set - are the voltages on the outputs correct? That would then tell you where to look for the fault, and which caps are suspect.
vidjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 11:03 am   #24
Maarten
Dekatron

Also, applying directed heat by using a haidryer, is a way to diagnose faulty electrolytics.
Old 1st Dec 2023, 12:15 pm   #25
gallowfields
Hexode

from memory all the 17pw15/9 boards are the same .its only usually the main boards and t,con,s etc that are customised to the the particular lcd screen used and brand of course
regards brian .also i said previously you may find a 17pw15/20 with the mod leads which is a more reliable board .although yours seem to have survived many years .
gallowfields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Dec 2023, 12:56 pm   #26
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

The capacitors I mentioned are the two 4700/6.3v items in the lower centre of the board. Large, purple/blue colour, just to the left of the small input choke.
Old 1st Dec 2023, 1:24 pm   #27
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidjoman View Post
Quote:
All the circled caps were replaced. The photo is before replacement. I think I did the green circle as well. All the blue circled caps have been replaced for sure. Any ideas?
Although you replaced several caps last year they may be faulty now. They may not have been the correct type for use in switch mode power supplies even though the value and voltage were the same.

You appear to be trying to get it working without doing any testing. When connected to the set - are the voltages on the outputs correct? That would then tell you where to look for the fault, and which caps are suspect.
Faulty after 1 year?!?! Glynn and others pointed me to the green caps and they were bulging, it just seemed obvious. Anyway it fixed the fault and the fault hasn't happened since. (Previous fault - TV took ages to come on)
Old 1st Dec 2023, 1:30 pm   #28
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowfields View Post
from memory all the 17pw15/9 boards are the same .its only usually the main boards and t,con,s etc that are customised to the the particular lcd screen used and brand of course
regards brian .also i said previously you may find a 17pw15/20 with the mod leads which is a more reliable board .although yours seem to have survived many years .
You could very well be right, in which case the IPS boards, not the normal PW boards are the power boards that can be different since LED-drivers do depend on the panel. Though I will still not bet any money on it as there can be exceptions that prove the rule.
Old 1st Dec 2023, 1:31 pm   #29
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
The capacitors I mentioned are the two 4700/6.3v items in the lower centre of the board. Large, purple/blue colour, just to the left of the small input choke.
Thanks Glynn. I'll start with those two you mentioned and the 1000UF 16V if I am going to change any caps. I may though just buy a board from akcelestial on Ebay to see if it does resolve issue. Would save time and hassle though I don't mind soldering!
Old 1st Dec 2023, 3:34 pm   #30
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If you do decide to buy another board, the supplier you mention is one I've had good experiences with.

To add to the above, The /8 and /9 versions of this board did go through many variants, including having the feed to the backlights backwards (!), additional earth leads and extra sockets for the audio board fitted or not, depending on the spec. The/20 version was almost a 'one size fits all' board which came with additional leads if it was to replace an /8 board. I think I've still got a set of those leads!
Old 2nd Dec 2023, 2:18 am   #31
SpyguyUK
Tetrode

Thanks Glynn. I did buy a board from him. Just for a quick fix! Just don't know why there is a pin missing from one of the sockets that I bought from him last year.
I imagine I will recap the current board I have in TV or vice versa. For ages I thought it was a fault with my All In One Remote Control that has a Matrix on it switching on 4 devices at a time.