UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 4th Mar 2024, 9:38 pm   #1
Philcox
Diode

Unhappy Fidelity HF 43 Turntable removal

Good evening all,

Please could I ask for some help regarding the turntable I have just removed from my Fidelity? I have a nasty feeling that there should be a metal insert in the centre of the turntable which is now stuck on the small cog.

I applied IPA and heat (hairdryer, not a heat gun) to the centre of the turn table and gradually eased it off the deck. I've searched around for drawings or specific advice regarding this but without luck. The horrible looking hole in the turntable just doesn't look right to me.

I found the record player in a loft, it's very gummed up and will take a lot of cleaning/regreasing etc. but I think it's sound and will scrub up nicely - assuming I haven't killed the turntable!

Thank you in advance.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9245.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	294209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9246.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	294210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9247.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	294211  
Philcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2024, 12:27 am   #2
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Default Re: Fidelity HF 43 Turntable removal

Hi Phil

It should look like the attached photos when you take the platter off so you’ll see that part of the sleeve/bearing and the gear for the auto mech have corroded to the centre post and become detached from the platter.

I suspect that you’ll need a replacement platter now along with the work involved in removing the offending parts which penetrating fluid left overnight and/or heat should help with. Don’t try rotating it with any force though to remove it as the bearing centre post is a pressed fitting on to the base plate and rotation will likely causing the fixing to rotate which it shouldn’t.

Thereafter, there’s a sticky on overhauling these decks. Getting a replacement platter shouldn’t be difficult. Post a picture of the existing one in a wanted thread.

Just taken the photos - as it happens, I’ve got one to overhaul tomorrow. Thankfully, the platter wasn’t seized on it.

Cheers, Tim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9364.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	294225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9361.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	294226  
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2024, 9:46 am   #3
Philcox
Diode

Thanks Tim, your pictures and description confirmed what I initially though

The cog is seized fast, I'll try your suggestions first but may have to resort to a small gear puller if no joy.

Appreciate your help.

Best wishes

Phil
Old 5th Mar 2024, 10:51 am   #4
Chris R
Pentode

I use a small heat gun to soften the solidified grease which is binding the casting in place. Another way is to put the tip of a soldering iron into the centre of the bearing when the stacking spindle has been removed.
As Tim says, be wary not to turn the housing in the chassis - you will get some odd effects if this happens. As he also says, probably the best solution will be to get a spare turntable (platter). These autochangers were widely used.

Chris R
Chris R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2024, 10:55 am   #5
Philcox
Diode

Thanks Chris, I did resort to a heat gun rather than the hair dryer, it did the trick.

It looks like there are only 5 ball bearings in the race, I can't see any others rattling around anywhere so I assume this is normal?

Best wishes

Phil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9249.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	294237  
Old 5th Mar 2024, 8:15 pm   #6
EmleyTim
Tetrode

Hi Phil

Rubber washer at the bottom
Steel washer next
5 ball bearing race next
Steel washer last

The platter sits on top of the last steel washer

I soak the bearing races in IPA for a while to dissolve all the old grease then rub the race on a sheet of card or paper to make sure all the balls are free before re greasing. You’ll always get some platter rumble from these simple bearings but you won’t hear it when a record is playing

Often the auto cam is stuck fast on its spindle too but if you’ve got the platter bearing apart, you must have got the cam off. The small bearing that runs in the cam groove will likely need freeing off. The trip pawl is often seized too - the two plates on top of the auto cam. Free the latter off but don’t grease or oil them - they need to run dry

Cheers, Tim
EmleyTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Mar 2024, 8:34 am   #7
hayerjoe
Hexode

Looking at Phil's first photo of the spindle holder, I'd say the damage has already been done. See the slot at the top of the spindle holder? That should be fixed and pointing at the tonearm pivot. Looks like it's been turned during attempted platter removal (we've all done it!). You need to turn it back to where it should be and from below solder or weld it so it can't move again.

"Hayer Joe, where ya going with that deck in your hand?" - Jimi Hendrix Experience
hayerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote