UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Oct 2019, 3:32 am   #1
joebog1
Banned

Default Multi-way plugs and sockets.

Are plug and socket covers available to protect my old fingers from contact with 500 volts?

There were a series of octal plugs and sockets made in Asia somewhere years ago, with push on PVC covers! They mostly slipped off, rather than covered the internal to the connector, voltages.

I have been using "Standard Circular Aircraft Connectors" from eBay to overcome this. They are not expensive, but I wonder about the ratings supplied:
500 volts DC and 5 amps per pin. They DONT specify if its only one pin loaded, or all pins loaded.

Old 11 pin and even octal plugs/sockets withstood 500 volts for years without failure.

Joe
Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:09 pm   #2
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Multi-way plugs and sockets.

"Old 11 pin and even octal plugs/sockets withstood 500 volts for years without failure."

Given the relative pin spacings shouldn't that be:

"Old octal plugs/sockets and even 11 pin withstood 500 volts for years without failure."

For confidence (or otherwise) in any ratings, check the creepage and clearance distances in the connectors against some recognised standard. If the connector environment is benign (cool-warm and dry) you can be a bit more "relaxed" for personal domestic use
.........O..Chris....O

Last edited by Herald1360; 31st Oct 2019 at 12:15 pm.
Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:24 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Though they're only 'officially' rated at 250VAC, I have used these sorts of Bulgin connectors for 500VC cabling [between power-supplies and transmitters] in the past.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/compa...ctors/0487384/
Old 31st Oct 2019, 12:44 pm   #4
emeritus
Dekatron

I have noticed that my octal and 11-pin valve-base relay sockets have grooves between adjacent pins, evidently to increase the surface distance between pins so as to increase the creepage distance. My understanding is that dielectric failure rarely occurs though the bulk of a body, but almost invariably happens at the air-surface interface. Equipment such as connectors intended for use on unpressurised aircraft need to have increased clearances as the dielectric strength of air falls with falling pressure. The connectors mentioned should in practice be OK at ground level.
Closed Thread