UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:04 pm   #1
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default A "found" triode...

Discovered recently: all signs of identification are missing except for the number "67" on the top mica-support.

It's indirectly heated and the filament appears quite thin so I'm thinking 6.3V? The anode is a 'box' style one made from two pressings riveted together - about 1.5 inches high and an inch wide.

5-pin "British" type base - whose only significant feature is that there's a small 'step' on the part of the bakelite right next to where it's bonded to the glass - does that suggest any particular manufacturer?

I haven't experimented with applying heater voltage/current yet - that happens tomorrow.

Any ideas what it might be? Assuming it has heater-connectivity, I'm tempted to see if it works as a "Pierce" crystal-oscillator around 2MHz.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	triode.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	192256   Click image for larger version

Name:	triode2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	192257  
Old 22nd Oct 2019, 8:23 pm   #2
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Default Re: A "found" triode...

ML4 or ML6 maybe?

Roger
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 10:12 am   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I've done some testing of the heater, hooking it to my variable-voltage PSU and slowly winding the volts up to see what happened.

See screenshot below. At 4V the bits of the heaters sticking out the end of the cathode were nicely orange, though the cathode itself was only glowing a very dull orange.

Now, if only I can find my stash of British 5-pin valve sockets!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	heaters.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	192290  
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 10:31 am   #4
FERNSEH
Dekatron

The Marconi-Osram ML6 was possibly the only 6.3volt valve on a B5 base.
Can't think of any others.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ml6.html

DFWB
Old 23rd Oct 2019, 10:59 am   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Looking at the heater current I think that mine's a ML4.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 6:24 am   #6
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

If you can't find a B5 base then P/M me as I should have several ex-RAF in stock.

Roger
Old 24th Oct 2019, 8:25 am   #7
cmjones01
Nonode

That should work well as an RF oscillator. The Marconi TF144G signal generator uses them.

Chris
Old 24th Oct 2019, 8:42 am   #8
kalee20
Dekatron

From memory, the MH4 triode was 4V, 1A.

I didn't know there were ANY 6.3V heaters on B4 or B5 bases till Fernshe's post above!

The difference between MH4 and ML4 is anode resistance and mutual conductance, a bit like the difference between ECC82 and ECC83.
Old 24th Oct 2019, 5:46 pm   #9
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

When I was a kid I remember building a one valve radio with an ML4. The HT was a B126 90v battery with a bell transformer set on the 4v tapping for the heater. I wound a large frame aerial and the performance was incredible at Wimbledon.

A very versatile valve the ML4 and I'm almost certain it was used as scanning drivers in the pre war GEC electrostatic television receivers. J.
Old 27th Oct 2019, 6:23 pm   #10
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Update: using the brass connector-barrels from 'choc-blocks' for valve-pin-connections rather than a proper valve-base, an old "10XJ" crystal on 3481.5KHz (made by Brush), a 10KOhm grid-leak and an ex-military radio-frequency choke marked "10A/10117", this antique triode oscillates nicely - settling down to draw 24mA at 300V HT, producing enough RF to light a 6-volt 60mA bulb to reasonable brightness.

I'm now thinking about building it into a "Retro" crystal-calibrator/marker-oscillator of some sort, in an Eddystone diecast box - I've got some obscure-frequency 10X- and FT243 crystals that could be used, and I'm thinking of sticking a 2-Ohm 2-Watt resistor in series with the heater so I can power it from my generic 6.3/250V shack-supplies [probably via a Jones-plug].
Closed Thread