UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2021, 10:25 pm   #21
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Re: Anyone know what this tool is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Thats brilliant, thanks!

Yes, it was the name which persuaded me to add it to my haul.

Its about a foot long.

If anyone would like it FOC, please say.

N.
Hi Nick

If you want to find a home for it, I could use it at the Anson Engine Museum, where scraping (and plastiguage) are still very much a thing.

(If in return you want (FOC) a 1950s 2-speed dental motor by 'Rayway' in fetching - and rather worn - cream and green, then let me know! It needs some TLC...how many dentists in the country are there who might be interested )

cheers
Mark
Old 30th Sep 2021, 10:40 pm   #22
Joe_Lorenz
Hexode

Robert,
Plasti Gauge (or Plastigage) is still available and a proven method of checking bearing fits. I always have some at hand when playing with other hobbies.
Regards, Joe
Old 12th Oct 2021, 2:10 pm   #23
QQVO6/40
Hexode

G'day all.

Sorry for being late to reply.
Been as busy as a centipede with a skipping rope.
Hello Joe. I was not aware that Plastigage was still available as I have not needed it for quite some years.
I did find it so easy to use for determining bearing fits.
I won't discuss it any further as this is an electronics forum and not for engineering.
But I thank you Joe for letting me know it is still available.

Cheers.
Robert, VK2BNM.
Old 12th Oct 2021, 8:40 pm   #24
James Duncan
Pentode

Most ones we as apprentices had to create were made from worn files, we had to shape these on a grinder and sharpen with a oil stone.It was the sides of the file that were ground .
These were then used to carefully remove tiny quantities of white metal from new cast white metal shaft bearings to get a correct fit, engineers blue was used as an indicator of high points.
Closed Thread