UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2018, 2:17 pm   #1
percival007
Heptode

Default Maplin Precision Gold XG95D

Hi All,

a bit of a long shot here I think.

I have a Maplin 'Precision Gold' (their own Brand (?)) XG95D Dual Power Supply.
Not necessarily Vintage I suppose but I have had it donkeys years.

The thing works absolutely fine as a PSU but the 'Separation' LED no longer lights. There are two LED's, one ('Separation') for when the two Supplies are working independently and a 'Tracking' LED for when the Right Hand Controls adjust both Supplies for a tracked +/- Supply. Both functions are working as I say, just the LED for Separate function does not light. It's not the LED, there appears to be incorrect voltage across it.

Before I start fully dismantling it and drawing out the circuit I wonder if there ever was a Schematic for this available from Maplins and if so, does anyone have a copy?

It's no real problem but I have been re-arranging the workshop in readiness for a new 'Scope and thought I'd have a look whilst it was accessible.

Thanks All,

James.
Old 9th Jul 2018, 8:22 pm   #2
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: Maplin Precision Gold XG95D

I don't know the unit - but would start by looking at the switch contacts - possibly one half of the switch doing the PSU control and another just doing the LEDs?
Old 10th Jul 2018, 2:18 pm   #3
dave cox
Nonode

A photo might help in case its a re-badged product.

dc
Old 10th Jul 2018, 7:44 pm   #4
sortedradio
Heptode

"It's not the LED, there appears to be incorrect voltage across it."

If the voltage across the LED is incorrect could it be that the LED is open circuit? Is it difficult to substitute another LED in its place?
Old 10th Jul 2018, 8:26 pm   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
If the voltage across the LED is incorrect could it be that the LED is open circuit? Is it difficult to substitute another LED in its place?
Or (with the PSU switched off), to apply a small Voltage across the LED via a limiting resistor, say 3V via 470R, to see if the LED really is duff.

Good luck with it James.
Old 16th Jul 2018, 9:53 am   #6
percival007
Heptode

Sorry for the delay in replying, have not had a chance to look at the PSU again untill yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sortedradio View Post
"It's not the LED, there appears to be incorrect voltage across it."

Thanks sortedradio, yes indeed it turned to be the LED and yes it was a tricky job to change it, the whole PSU front Panel having to come off. One reason I looked elsewhere first. The other reason was getting fooled by the incorrect voltage measurable across but discounting the fact that it could be the LED itself ! Silly mistake.

Thanks all,

James.

P.S. I will try and post a pic for your info soon.
Closed Thread