UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jun 2018, 2:44 pm   #21
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: CRT sets still in daily use?

My main set is still a Sanyo 28 used every day, if I was a fan of say Coronation St I could not see any reason to watch that over 49 inches or HD anyway.
It's very old now but the tube is still vibrant and have not had the back off of it for years - belonged to my late Dad .When my Dad was ill it was behaving very strangely (along with some other electrical equipment) . I thought I had fixed some random faults but it persisted with tantrums until my Dad died. With the house clearance it was going up the tip but switched it on (giving it one last chance LOL) and it was right as reign and has been ever since.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 3:24 pm   #22
michamoo
Hexode

Still using a 25" Trinitron from the mid 90s here along with a Thomson Digi box but the tube is not as crisp as it once was. My other set is a 14" Sharp from 1989 that has never been any trouble but feel i have not quite had my moneys worth yet so both are staying for now. I might try and raise the heater volts on the Trinitron to get a bit more use from it.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 3:32 pm   #23
Beardyman
Hexode

We still use CRT monitors where I work (JVC TM-H140PN) for checking underwater camera video quality, we've tried LCD/Plasma et al but nothing seems to quite hit the spot like the CRT's.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 3:37 pm   #24
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Still got a 18 months use Sony here. Made 2005 and a LOPTX waiting to be fitted for the last 10 years!

Though I am sure it will be a superb picture.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 3:47 pm   #25
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH View Post
Very few CRT sets now in the homes of the general public. And can you blame them for buying flat TVs? Those large screen CRT sets take up a lot of space, more so in the tiny living rooms of the houses being built nowadays.
Living in a very affluent area, I am not surprised there are very few CRT sets still in use.
The only CRT sets I still service belong to elderly customers who are quite happy to keep their set as long as it lasts, and are happy to have it repaired occasionally.

I am not surprised that many forum members still use a CRT set on a daily basis, but it seems that there are very few still in use by Joe public.
Personally, I only have one CRT set in regular use, a 16" Sony widescreen set in the kitchen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raditechman View Post
I sadly sent 2 CRT colour TV's to the recycling centre this week. They all worked when last switched on but I was not even able to give them away.
Only last week I was offered 2 14" sets, one with a built in VCR. I already have a few in my collection, so I presume they had the same fate.
I still have a 42" CRT rear projection set that I cannot rehome, looks like this will have to go for recycling too

Mark
Old 29th Jun 2018, 4:03 pm   #26
PaulR
Dekatron

Not in a domestic setting but our B&Q uses two CRT TVs as security monitors. They are switched on all day every day and have been for possibly 20 years. The image of the tills must be well and truly burnt into their screens but they still soldier on.

I am not sure of the make but I will have a look next time I am in there. There were signs saying the store was to be refurbished so they may finally have been retired to a skip by now.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 5:28 pm   #27
OldTechFan96
Octode

The last CRT TV I owned was a mid 1990's (?) Ferguson that I inherited after my maternal Grandma died in 2007. I can't remember how long I used it for as I upgraded to a 22'' Goodmans branded LCD TV, then a 32'' LG in 2010.

My paternal Grandma and late Grandad used a 2000's Sony Trinitron until 2010. It came with a matching stand, DVD player and VHS recorder.

Before that they used a mid 1980s (?) Dynatron that was housed in a teak cabinet with tambour doors. I asked Grandma last year about it and she said it was bought as a treat. It was in good work order when it was retired. Only having an RF input it was obsolete as my Grandparents wanted SCART for a DVD player. I have many happy memories of disassembling it with my Grandad. The cabinet was made into a cupboard which is still used.

My next door neighbor uses an 1980's Panasonic, she does not much TV. A few door down an old couple use a early 2000's Thomson which is on all day. A previous set of neighbors used a VHS combi until they died a few years ago.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 5:51 pm   #28
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Quote:
Before that they used a mid 1980s (?) Dynatron that was housed in a teak cabinet with tambour doors. I have many happy memories of disassembling it with my Grandad. The cabinet was made into a cupboard which is still used.
One of the few, I took the works out of many console TV’s that had doors, the customers intention to make into a cabinet of some sort.

Many were still waiting years later.

Last edited by Nuvistor; 29th Jun 2018 at 6:00 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old 29th Jun 2018, 5:56 pm   #29
Richard_FM
Octode

I've heard of some retro gamers buying CRT TVs as light guns don't work with flat screens & many older consoles don't support widescreen.

I've been to a few events with some old consoles which have used older sets for this reason, & probably because they can be picked up for next to nothing.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 6:07 pm   #30
stuie319
Pentode

Hi Folks,

I've three in regular use here, A B&O 2502 in rosewood in the lounge (we were selling these new when I entered the trade, I remember fitting the after market NICAM decoders in them before they went out), A 27" Sony Profeel in the main bedroom, which I shudder at the thought of trying to move downstairs, and a little Toshiba portable in the kitchen that was written off years ago following lightening damage, but which I subsequently managed to get going.
All have been extremely reliable and give super results

Regards

Stu
Old 29th Jun 2018, 6:24 pm   #31
electronicskip
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_FM View Post
I've heard of some retro gamers buying CRT TVs as light guns don't work with flat screens & many older consoles don't support widescreen.

I've been to a few events with some old consoles which have used older sets for this reason, & probably because they can be picked up for next to nothing.
That's quite correct.
I use a 16" Ferguson for retro gaming as my modern LED TV wont work with lightguns and also wont tune some older consoles .
Old 29th Jun 2018, 6:47 pm   #32
john.north
Pentode

I have a JVC pro logic and a 1976 Comet special Autovox ultrasonic, both still working.The Autovox line output over wind failed many years ago and now has one off a thorn 8000.
John.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 6:53 pm   #33
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I have argued in the past that the best policy currently is probably to buy an ultra high quality large MONITOR and just change your comparatively cheap and very soon obsolete receiver box every now and again.
I quite agree.
Our everyday 'set' is a Samsung pro monitor, bought supposedly second-hand, but actually still in its sealed box - apparently surplus to some sort of contract job. Apart from anything else, it has a wider colour gamut and is more controllable than domestic sets (and if I wanted to, I could buy several more and matrix them to form a video wall - the facility is built-in!).
Edit: Long before flat-screen sets were the norm, I considered buying a Barco, Sony or whatever monitor, but never got round to it. If you're happy with a CRT set, that's certainly the way to go now, as they're available for peanuts, if not free.

Last edited by dseymo1; 29th Jun 2018 at 7:22 pm.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 7:27 pm   #34
Rubberfingers
Pentode

If you look on Rightmove (or any other property for sale website), you will still find plenty of photographs of rooms containing CRT TV's!
Old 29th Jun 2018, 7:32 pm   #35
Restoration73
Nonode

It's good to view 4:3 material on a crt set with the same ratio. I use an old NEI 27" FST
set with DVD or the odd VHS, and accept any limitations of a crt display.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 7:37 pm   #36
Richard_FM
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by dseymo1 View Post
I quite agree.
Our everyday 'set' is a Samsung pro monitor, bought supposedly second-hand, but actually still in its sealed box - apparently surplus to some sort of contract job. Apart from anything else, it has a wider colour gamut and is more controllable than domestic sets (and if I wanted to, I could buy several more and matrix them to form a video wall - the facility is built-in!).
Edit: Long before flat-screen sets were the norm, I considered buying a Barco, Sony or whatever monitor, but never got round to it. If you're happy with a CRT set, that's certainly the way to go now, as they're available for peanuts, if not free.
I remember around the time it was announced that analogue transmissions were going to be switched off someone on MHP wondered if future TVs would be in effect a monitor with a separate tuner box. I've noticed some sites have digiboxes with a VGA output so older monitors can receive an off air broadcast, I assume they are Freeview compatible.

Talking of sites, CRT sets are available on Alibaba, intended for sale in India & Africa, I presume they are compatible with system I.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:12 pm   #37
akuram1
Pentode

My sharp CV2131H is used every day in the dining room and gives a brilliant picture played from the sky RF2 output and Freeview if needed through a Goodmans digital box and Philips VHS recorder.

Long may this continue.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:17 pm   #38
toshiba tony
Heptode

I still regularly use my Hitachi w\s 36in. Just goes on and on, cost silly money new. Apart from the drawback I can't use certain items in my house that are HDMI only it's not going anywhere. And when you compare DVD recordings to VHS the tape format is miles behind but there is a nostalgic feeling when you "see" a wrinkle on the tape. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:28 pm   #39
McMurdo
Dekatron

I dont know anyone who uses a CRT tv regularly and my last one from the bedroom came out at the weekend in perfect order (vestel) only replaced by a skip-find lcd 1080 freeview...because it was free and only needed a capacitor.
Old 29th Jun 2018, 8:40 pm   #40
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusHardware View Post
I have argued in the past that the best policy currently is probably to buy an ultra high quality large MONITOR and just change your comparatively cheap and very soon obsolete receiver box every now and again.
Couldn't agree more: as someone who's not watched off-air TV for a couple of decades [being more a DVDs/Netflix/Amazon/YouTube/fansubbed-Japanese-Anime-type viewer] I do the decoding in whatever computer's currently available.

I gave up with my ten-year-old Philips Brilliance 202 CRT monitor a while back: the on-screen controls were getting distinctly 'sticky' and unresponsive, and it only had VGA input which meant that when I upgraded to a media-computer with only DisplayPort and HDMI outputs I was kinda stuck.

Acer make some rather nice displays which are all-digital [DisplayPort/HDMI] and that's what I upgraded to - a G277HU which does 2560x1440 resolution.

Wouldn't go back to a CRT!
Closed Thread