UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2018, 12:04 pm   #1
AndyP-UK
Triode

Default Cleaning Speaker Cloth

What is the feeling about cleaning speaker cloth?

I have an Ekco U245 & from other pictures I have seen, the cloth is an off white or cream colour anyway, that's fine, but I feel that mine is too brown, maybe nicotine stained and patchy.

Is there a safe way of cleaning it? I should think avoid getting it wet to avoid shrinkage so just dry brushing maybe, what do you do?

Thanks
Andy
Old 5th Jun 2018, 2:27 pm   #2
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Re: Cleaning Speaker Cloth

Looking at pictures of the U245 it looks like one of those plastic woven cloths often found on Bush sets of the same time. These do clean up quite easily with a gentle brush from a toothbrush and a watered down mild cleaner, periodically moped up with sheets of kitchen roll. But if it's made from anything else I'd be inclined leave it be, you could make it look worse.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 6:49 pm   #3
vidjoman
Dekatron

I’ve used upholstery cleaner in spray cans as it’s just a light foam and not very wet. Use a little and wipe off. A toothbrush may help with more stubborn stains.
Old 5th Jun 2018, 8:41 pm   #4
paulsherwin

U245 speaker fabric is nylon and cleans well without detaching or shrinking. I sprayed mine with foaming cleaner including on the speaker side, agitated it with a soft paintbrush, then wiped it off with a damp soft cloth.

It's not cream, it's much darker than that - alternating thin bands of light brown, dark brown and gold.
Old 6th Jun 2018, 8:31 am   #5
AndyP-UK
Triode

Thank you all, I feel a bit more confident about tackling it now. I also came across this which answered a few questions.

https://www.vintage-radio.com/repair...e-speaker.html
Closed Thread