UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2018, 3:53 pm   #1
Andy_John
Retired Dormant Member

Default Radiogram. Identification help if possible.

Hello,

First post, so sorry if this is the wrong section.

I have acquired an old radiogram, with the intent of gutting and replacing most of it.
However, after the initial once over, I powered it up and was surprised to find that there may be life in it yet. (valves all glow, and the radio appears to work. The turntable (4 speed, BSR, with a TC8S cartridge) spins, and offers some faint sound, somewhere behind the "hum").

So being a bit of a "natural fiddler", I'm looking at the possibility of making it work (and safely).

I have browsed though this very informative and knowledgeable site and gained a rough idea of what I need to do first, 'find out exactly what I have', then try to find a schematic/diagram to aid with the replacement of aging/failing components.

This is my stumbling point, I do not seem to be able to locate anything that resembles the radio/amp, to give me a name to search for.
The only thing that is on the radio chassis is a faint sticker with the name "falcon" on it, but this does not yield any results.

I believe (after reading posts on this site), it's probably a "catalogue/discount/cheap" unit, from the 60's/70's, but the challenge of getting it to work is the real value.

Anyway, enough of the waffle, I (hopefully) have attached a couple of images, that someone might recognize and point me in the right direction for a name.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1462 (Custom).JPG
Views:	259
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	161469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1464 (Custom).JPG
Views:	210
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	161470   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1465 (Custom).JPG
Views:	240
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	161471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1466 (Custom).JPG
Views:	209
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	161472  
Old 20th Apr 2018, 6:37 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Radiogram. Identification help if possible.

Can't help with identifying the Radiogram, Andy John, but almost certainly that TC8 cartridge is faulty, hence the very low output when playing a record. Performing a 'buzz' test at the wires from the cartridge will establish whether or not the amplifier is working.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 7:05 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Where is the photo of the radiogram cabinet.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 7:13 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

There is certainly a cabinet behind though a better shot might help. I am tempted to say Decca??
Old 20th Apr 2018, 7:21 pm   #5
Essexsteve
Triode

The tuning scale, knobs and turntable are the same as a Falcon radiogram we had when I was a kid in the 60's. It was a cheap and cheerful model which I think came from the co-op.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 7:46 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Looks like a nice, simple, spacious, well-built, low-value machine to practise your restoration and repair skills on. And it seems to have a mains isolation transformer too. It might well be possible to add a Bluetooth module for under a tenner too, to make up for the fact that it's a cheapie with no FM band. Go for it!

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 20th Apr 2018 at 7:52 pm.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 9:44 am   #7
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The BSR UA25 aurochanger dates this to about 1964/65. Could be an Ace or Falcon. Possibly a Plessey chassis? Certainly not a Decca, this is a Buget model probably sold via Furniture Stores.
Old 21st Apr 2018, 10:04 am   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Falcon I would say, front panel layout similar to the one in this thread:

https://vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=88293

So far as the main chassis etc goes:

Left to right in your pics the valves are probably EL84, ECC8*?, EL84, ECH81, EBF80 or 89, EZ81.

EZ81, HT rectifier (full wave)
EL84's, pentodes, AF output valves.
ECC8*? double triode, AF amps for both channels.
EBF80 or 89, pentode double diode, IF amp and detector.
ECH81, triode heptode, oscillator and mixer.

No schematic that I'm aware of, most of the circuitry will be bog standard stuff,

The under chassis view shows some capacitors that should be replaced before spending too much time on it, first are the control grid coupling capacitors that couple the anodes of the AF amp to the control grids of the AF output valves, check the grid resistors while your at it, there's also a wax capacitor visible which should be replaced, personally I would also replace the HT electrolytics, there's three of them, one under chassis to the left in the photo, that decouples the HT feed to the AF amp anodes, the other two are in the aluminium chassis mounted can (HT reservoir and filter...aka smoothers)

The cathode bypass electrolytic capacitors will also need replacing, so far as I can make out they're mounted on the output transformers along with the cathode bias resistors, measure those resistor values as well.

Wave change switch, tone selector switch, valve sockets/pins should be cleaned as well, also the volume control if needs be.

Good luck with it all.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread