UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2020, 6:33 pm   #1
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default DE5 valves plus others, of any interest?

I was commenting on a local group for the town I was brought up. Somebody showed a 30 year old clock radio and how they still used it and asked if anyone else used things that old.

I mentioned that many people on here still use radios and TVs that are much older than this. That prompted another member of the group to say they had 'a bag of emitter valves, DE5 plus others if anyone is interested'. Now I'm more interested in later stuff, but I thought I'd post here.

If someone is interested, I'll enquire some more about cost (if any) location and so on. Although the town is in Warwickshire, there are people from all around the world in the group so I couldn't say where without asking!
Old 15th Jan 2020, 7:04 pm   #2
duncanlowe
Nonode

Default Re: DE5 valves plus others, of any interest?

Sorry it seems I had posted in the wrong place. I did think it might be in the parts offered section, but a price was (rightly) required. I didn't think this section was right either.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 7:37 pm   #3
Gridiron
Heptode

PM sent, Mike.
Old 15th Jan 2020, 9:54 pm   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

Hi. I've received a couple of PMs so have asked for more information. I'll come back to you when I hear more.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 2:24 pm   #5
duncanlowe
Nonode

OK, so I still can't find out exactly what there is, but it sounds like a few from the 20s and 30s. They are FoC but don't know any history.

As several people are interested, and we don't know exactly what is there, I'm going to collect them and examine / list what's there. I should be able to check for OC heaters but not a lot else. They will remain FoC apart from postage if I need to post them. Hopefully I'll see them Monday so will update then.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 2:31 pm   #6
Simon Gittins
Heptode

Early valves with OC heaters make good display items! I'm not looking for any more though.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 4:01 pm   #7
PJL
Dekatron

I would be interested as the DE5 would be right for my 1925 Marconi type 41. However, these do fetch good money on ebay.
Old 17th Jan 2020, 4:04 pm   #8
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I would like a DE5 for my Marconi 82 if at all possible.Thank you
Old 17th Jan 2020, 7:07 pm   #9
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
However, these do fetch good money on ebay.
The person is donating them given she knows they will be going to radio enthusiasts. So it wouldn't be right to sell them. Clearly there's a few people interested so lets compare what I get with those that want something and see if we can help everyone, I have no idea right now.

Of course I would be disappointed if people were to have something only to sell it on.
Old 18th Jan 2020, 1:01 pm   #10
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello Duncan, please put my name in the hat. Its no secret that I've a keen interest in DEV valves(See Marconi DEV Type Valves - 24th Sept 2017, & "Testing DEV Valves on AVO MK3" - 30th Oct 2017).
These valves started to appear just after the 1stWW & were in use well into the 1920's. B4 Base, 2V filament, anything from 60 to 130V HT usually, low Ia, some only worked at very low -ve Vg, and Gm in the region of 0.4 to 1.5mA/V was common.
Working & in good condition, they can be worth a few quid, I have to be quite honest. Although heating up well enough with 2V Vf, they often(due to their age) exhibit low or negligible Ia, hence are only good for display purposes(often in valuable old Marconi sets with exposed valves).
However,again being quite honest, the "Cruciform" (cross-shaped with big brass side connections) Bright Emitter & Dull Emitter valves are worth "Rocking Horse Manure" prices if(& its a big if) they still work OK. (I've built a B4 adaptor rig).
These valves, being nigh-on 100 years old, can be very easily phooked. Best bet would be to ask an experienced valve testing Forum member nearby, who has tested them(preferably on an AVO VCM) in the past, to see what state they are in.
Like your friend thinks, I wouldn't give them away unless the recipients agree to the caveat - Not To Be Flogged on Ebay ! Otherwise, take them along to the next nearest BVWS Swapmeet & ask Mike Barker to auction them & the funds going to the R & TV Museum.

Regards, David
Old 18th Jan 2020, 7:36 pm   #11
duncanlowe
Nonode

David, thanks for that input. Let's see what there is. If it looks like there are really some NOS DE5s or whatever, then I'll look for someone to test them, and ask the person donating them if she is happy to do what you suggest regards auctioning for the museum. To me it sounds like she would appreciate that. I have been kind of surprised how much interest there's been.

On that note is there anyone in the Stafford area who knows how to test valves of this age? I'm very much a BJT FET MOS era kind of man with plenty of multimeters, but nothing HV. I'm hoping to get them Monday and will start describing them here!
Old 19th Jan 2020, 1:14 am   #12
PJL
Dekatron

Dull emitter valves of this age, like the 1924 DE5, generally have a good survival rate. Radios of this period would have been owned by enthusiasts who 'upgraded' their sets to the latest valves and quite often ripped out the original components. DE5's appear to have remained in production for quite a few years but they are not often seen today.
Old 19th Jan 2020, 12:49 pm   #13
David Simpson
Nonode

Right oh Duncan, lets hope some nearby "Valvy" Forum member gets in touch & helps you out. I would've offered myself if I still lived down near you(Brewood/RAF Cosford), but that was in the early 70's. Posting even a well padded out box of old rare valves might be chancy. I guess your nearest BVWS Swapmeet venue would just be an hour's drive up the M6 to Golborne near Warrington. Maybe you could meet up with someone there.
It was fortunate that the chum who owned all the B4/Cruciform valves, and the thumping big Marconi RB7, plus a kings ransom of other rare valves, lived just an hour's drive away. So I was happy to work on them, but I still wore two pairs of underpants.
Perhaps you could take some pictures of the valves for us to lewk at. Also - BEWARE - Do not try cleaning the valves with any sort of solvent or even water, to try & see the faded lettering & numbering. A huff & puff of hot breath plus scrutiny with a magnifying glass is the only method, really.

Regards, David
Old 20th Jan 2020, 9:45 pm   #14
duncanlowe
Nonode

Got them this evening and it's a mixed bag, literally! Some are in boxes but what's in the box isn't what it says. The boxes are Rubon but very few of the valves are. There are three I can see no markings at all, including one which appears to have gold paint and an attached wire to the coating. Apart from that from a quick look:
Osram DE5
Cossor Stentor 2
Rubon DE5
(Mullard) PM22 (Guessing Mullard from the type number)
Mullard PM(?)
Rubon RC
Mullard PM1HF
Rubon SP1A
Rubon DE1
362 SG2
Dario TB052
Rubon RC1
Rubon P1

Also a couple of other items.
TCC condensor
An airspaced tuning capacitor that looks new as the tags have no solder
A Mullard combined grid leak and condensor holder. Two condensors but no actual grid leak.

The fact that the boxes are different to the valves make me wonder if the ones in the boxes are parts that have been replaced as faulty, but then again why would anyone keep faulty valves?

I'll try to take some photos at the weekend starting with those I can't see any markings on. These do really need to be looked at by someone who properly knows what they are.
Old 20th Jan 2020, 10:18 pm   #15
PJL
Dekatron

I think the Puratone Rubon valves were only manufactured in 1924 but maybe they were branding as there are quite a few different types there. The Mullards will be later, the PM22 is a pentode so at least 1928. They are all dull emitter (that's what DE stands for), probably date to no later than 1930, and we may struggle to find any data for the Rubon valves. A simple resistance check of the filament is all that is needed for testing.
Old 18th Oct 2021, 9:05 pm   #16
Cobaltblue

Re-opened at OP's request.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 18th Oct 2021, 9:28 pm   #17
duncanlowe
Nonode

Thanks for reopening.

I was intending to follow up, and arrange to meet up with someone at Golborne so that the valves could be looked at, hopefully tested, and then auctioned with proceeds going to the R&TV museum. Then someobody invented Covid.....

So, now we are getting a little closer to normal, and Golborne is upon us. I have a box, a car, but no idea how to proceed with getting these back into circulation.

Is there anyone going to Golborne, who would be willing and able to go through what there is, check whether they are any good, and pass it on for auction?
Old 19th Oct 2021, 7:30 pm   #18
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Duncan, there may be someone at Golbourne who can test the valves there, but I would be willing to bring them home to ID and test then pass on or return to you at the Apr Golbourne if timescales are not important

Ed
Old 20th Oct 2021, 5:00 pm   #19
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Hi Duncan, there may be someone at Golbourne who can test the valves there, but I would be willing to bring them home to ID and test then pass on or return to you at the Apr Golbourne if timescales are not important

Ed
Thanks Ed. Timescale is not an issue so that's something we can work with. That said, the valves don't really need to come back to me as if they are any use, the plan is to auction them with proceeds going to the R&TV museum as suggested.
Old 27th Oct 2021, 3:22 pm   #20
duncanlowe
Nonode

Hi, Ed. Looks like your offer is going to be the one to go for. I'll PM you closer to the event, unless someone knows that someone will be able to do it at the event. Duncan
Closed Thread