UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2022, 2:11 am   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Series 1 Evershed Testing Set Bridge Megger Repair

A beautiful object, reading low. I read how some models of Megger have a capacitor that's had a hard life which can cause low output.

They put the capacitor in a very awkward place, screwed down on the bottom of the wooden box beneath both the generator and meter assemblies. Some unsoldering, unscrewing, gentle persuasion and clamp removal later, I have enough brass to open a Victorian laboratory, and a Dubilier 0.05µF/1000V capacitor that shows zero microamp leakage at my tester's 600V limit.

I have found two apparently open-circuit wire-wound bobbin resistors, but can't see how they relate to the overall circuit. It's complicated by the fact this can be a bridge as well as a megger, and all the wires have black sleeves.

I guess I need to replace the bobbins anyway. Is it terribly hard to re-wind the things? They sit on such neat brass rod fixings it seems a shame to swap them out for some little metal oxide object.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram or top tips? I've searched the forum a few times but not found this exact model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220120_220729.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	250092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220120_224212.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	250093   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220120_225354.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	250094   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220120_221059.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	250095   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220120_224202.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	250096  

Old 21st Jan 2022, 10:02 pm   #2
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Default Re: Series 1 Evershed Testing Set Bridge Megger Repair

Hi, I may have some suitable resistance wire you can have if you wish to rewind them; see if you can find the gauge and ohms/ yd figure and I'll have a look

Ed
Old 21st Jan 2022, 11:11 pm   #3
trobbins
Heptode

The resistor/bobbin units look like precision resistors made with Manganin wire. The break in the wire may be at the outer lead connection if you are lucky, or on the outer layer - although the wire gauge looks pretty thin - you may want to try a careful inspection on a faulty unit to see if you can resurrect it. I've repaired some fine gauge resistors of that style - its fiddly.

As a work around, you could just initially bypass each faulty one with a fixed resistor (or two to tweak the value) to see how that modifies your measurement.

I'm guessing the voltage generated by your instrument is AC at a low frequency? Have you been able to confirm the frequency (which may be a concern for any DVM you use) and the variation in the applied rms voltage (eg. with crank speed and loading) ?
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 4:35 pm   #4
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thank you both. Are the bobbins sealed with shellac? I can't see much around the top, in case it's broken right at the end, because of the difficulty of seeing through the lacquer/varnish. Should I soak it off in acetone or something?

I guess from Ed's offer that it's not impossible to rewind them - my idea of the procedure being that if the wire's insulated from itself and of a known resistance per length, then it's 'just' a case of winding that length onto the bobbin.

I don't know what the instrument is supposed to put out, apart from the '1000V' on the plate. On cranking the handle the needle read 10M with the DMM attached, but the DMM only read a very fluctuating signal of about 100V maximum and mostly lower. The 250V hand-cranked Bridge Megger I did the same thing with showed 200+V on the meter and also 10M on the Megger.

If I were to bypass the bobbin resistors with placeholder modern ones, could I meter the result of turning the handle without the assembly in the case? Getting it back in, screwing up and soldering all the connections, and the meter assembly, would be a real bind!
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 7:23 pm   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi UB, the resistance wires are available in similar insulation's to copper, enamel, silk etc. Some have an oxide coating. Most of the fine gauges that I have are silk covered

Ed
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 8:20 pm   #6
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Thanks Ed. I'll put the rewinding to one side for the moment until I know the Megger's working. I've put some 12K resistors in place of the O/C bobbins with no change in function.

Attached is the simple route by which the Earth and Line terminals are connected to the generator. The bridge connections are omitted for clarity. I assume if everything's working correctly then I should get about 1kV between the two points on the generator that feed out to the Earth and the paralleled resistors before the Line. I guess the resistors are there in case the terminals are shorted.

On the picture the connections are marked with coloured and numbered clips. The brush connection is white 9; the mounting bracket/brass frame is grey 8; the Bridge/Megger switch and resistor connection is purple 7.

Connecting a 'scope probe to 7 and 9 gives an extremely dirty AC signal of about 60V P-P. I couldn't read the period while cranking.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220122_191347.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	250215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_191359.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	250216   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_191409.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	250217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220122_190523.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	250218  
Old 22nd Jan 2022, 11:31 pm   #7
trobbins
Heptode

Have you tried to clean all electrical contacts? The rotating bushes look like a concern from oxide build-up.
Old 23rd Jan 2022, 9:32 am   #8
Barnmead
Pentode

Silly question
Have you checked that both parts of the moving coil are OK?
In bridge configuration the terminal voltage will not be 1000V
I think the wirewounds might have been 100K
Old 29th Jan 2022, 7:02 pm   #9
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

trobbins - that wasn't a bad idea. I've rubbed off all the deposits that I could from the copper bushes, and also discovered that one of the carbon brushes wasn't springing back onto its bush as it should. Slightly loosening its containing guide sorted that. Now it spins up to 850V on the model 7 Universal AVO, though it did get to 1016V on the DMM once. It's now consistent at 800V+. Is this because of the AC component, and I shouldn't be expecting a nice round 1kVDC output?

Barnmead - the only silly question is the one not asked! Before disassembly the switch was set to 'Megger' rather than 'Bridge', and as the piece that engages with the knob on the casing has quite a positive engagement, I think all the internal connections are still in that position.

The non-bobbin wirewounds are indeed 100K Welwyn parts, and they all measure OK. They've been disconnected for these tests, which I'm doing only with the generator part.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220120_220121.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	250696  
Old 30th Jan 2022, 2:42 am   #10
Refugee
Dekatron

I have got a megger from the same period. It is the basic model without the bridge.
It was being sold for the value of the wooden cabinet.
I had a much better idea....
The first problem I came across was that it has no crank handle
The crank handle problem was solved in the end
It was at a time when quite a few users stopped posting here for a while so the photos are on a link.
https://golbornevintageradio.co.uk/f...d.php?tid=3637
Old 30th Jan 2022, 2:57 am   #11
trobbins
Heptode

Is there some kind of mechanical governor hidden away in there? Have you been able to add a light machine oil (I use a lock mechanism spray) to all the bearings? It may be worth checking the voltage waveform on a scope to better appreciate the waveform shape and frequency.
Old 30th Jan 2022, 10:33 pm   #12
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

From the Meggers used for power line testing I think they employed a slipping clutch to regulate the speed.
Ed
Old 30th Jan 2022, 11:48 pm   #13
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Yes, it has a slipping clutch. The readings I'm getting are after cranking at the slipping speed for a few seconds so it can't go any higher. I'll have to put it on the 'scope again. It's hard to hold it on the desk and crank without touching the nasty bits!
Old 31st Jan 2022, 3:49 am   #14
trobbins
Heptode

I'd guess there is some form of adjustment of the clutch, or some indication of what may have worn, that could vary the slip rpm.

The AVO ac voltage accuracy may vary (compared to true-rms) due to waveshape and if the frequency gets above about 2kHz.
Old 1st Mar 2022, 10:52 pm   #15
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

It appears to be up to 1kV on the DMM, so it looks like cleaning was all it needed.

Now I'm stuck with what to do with these O/C bobbin resistors. It would be neat to unwind them to find the break, but I don't know how to remove the varnish they're encapsulated in. I've tried acetone, IPA and gentle heat without success. Is it too naive to expect the varnish to be removable, the break repaired or bobbin re-wound and new varnish applied?
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 11:19 pm   #16
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Soaking the resistor overnight in IPA did result in some softening, and I could scrape off the varnish coating by rubbing with the wooden shaft of a swab.

There are a couple of breaks in the first layer. Some thicker wire goes to the terminal, wraps a few times around the bobbin and is then soldered to some very fine wire which forms the bulk of the first layer. I've unwound some of this back to the next break.

It measures 0.08mm diameter with a micrometer, but equally just scrapes through the "36" slot in my SWG plate. The table suggests that diameter is 44SWG. Anyhow, I need to follow it through and attempt to solder it back together.

Any tips for soldering these things thinner than hairs?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20220302_222003.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	252852  
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 11:39 pm   #17
joebog1
Banned

If its Nichrome it is very difficult to solder.
If its Eureka wire it will solder easily ( part of the alloy is copper ).

Keep trying !!!

Joe
Old 2nd Mar 2022, 11:47 pm   #18
joebog1
Banned

Maybe I shoulld have added. I have seen big precision power resistors available on the various auction sites. They do take a bit of digging. However, they are the right price.

Joe
Old 3rd Mar 2022, 6:23 am   #19
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi UB, it can be difficult to get the wire into the solder pool due to surface tension effects !

have some wire of a similar diameter, what are the ohms/ foot spec for this wire as I may have some at home.

Cheers, Ed
Old 4th Mar 2022, 12:56 am   #20
trobbins
Heptode

That bobbin type resistor was typical for precision manganin parts in vintage resistor decade boxes - but not sure your wire is copper or manganin.

Have you been able to confirm continuity from the other end of the winding to the last observed break on the top layer? If you have then I'd suggest soldering in a TCW link from the 'broken end terminal' to where the last confirmed break is - to act as a rigid wire to then try and wrap a turn or two of the broken end to. The aim is obviously to have the fine wire somewhat floating in air, which can then be latter constrained with a dab of flexible glue. The end of the TCW link can then be soldered, and hope that with sufficient time and perhaps a highish soldering tip temp any enamel on the 44 SWG will heat itself off sufficiently to allow continuity. Any lost resistance due to wire breaks is then better added as a fixed resistor as it may become a 'select on test' value.
Closed Thread