UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2022, 5:17 pm   #1
Ken Taylor
Pentode

Default Vacuum cleaner tools

Hello and Happy New Year.

Over the weekend our Dyson burned out it's second motor and so a replacement machine was ordered - a Shark. It arrived today and with it was a set of tools which should be excellent for vintage radio cleaning. The valve is in the shot to indicate size. The Shark is also much quieter than the Dyson.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shark_tools.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	249016  
Old 4th Jan 2022, 8:19 pm   #2
factory
Octode

Default Re: Vacuum cleaner tools

I've had a set of small tools for the Electrolux cleaner since 2006, they also fit the older Hoover in the shed.
They don't fit all cleaners though, including a slightly newer & poorly built Electrolux we had, bits kept falling off that one and it got recycled in the end.
Click image for larger version

Name:	kit05-mini-kit.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	249033

David
Old 5th Jan 2022, 9:36 am   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I never knew you could get mini tools for a vacuum cleaner. I struggle on with a bit of plasic pipe which is "adapted" to the normal cleaner pipe by a succession of larger bits of pipe and gaffer tape.
I will for a set of mini tools.

Peter
Old 5th Jan 2022, 10:54 am   #4
wireman
Heptode

I just had a look at this as I use a Numatic TEM390A extractor/vacuum with tools. A few people sell sets like these, so for the fitting I would need for example...

https://www.spares-2-go.com/products...mm-pc-desk-car
Old 5th Jan 2022, 11:07 am   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

You need to take care when using these mini tools unless supplied by the makers. The narrow pipe can seriously restrict airflow and may overheat the motor.
This is probably not a problem when just cleaning out a radio but very long periods of use may create a motor breakdown. J.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 2:26 pm   #6
Ken Taylor
Pentode

I would imaging having a vent somewhere in the pipe work would help to regulate the airflow without reducing the efficiency of the tools too much.
Ken
Old 5th Jan 2022, 4:36 pm   #7
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks wireman, I have ordered a set.
I have noted the caution about prolonged use, thanks.

Peter
Old 5th Jan 2022, 6:31 pm   #8
wireman
Heptode

I think I'm going to get of of these set variations as well, not expecting quality at the price these sell for but not likely to be used very often. The Numatic has a warning light for low airflow so I'm not worried by that aspect, in any case I think the handle has a slider to let more air in if needed.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 9:18 pm   #9
dglcomp
Heptode

Of course a Numatic is probably fine with reduced airflow for a decent length of time, a shark, very much less so.
Old 5th Jan 2022, 9:40 pm   #10
factory
Octode

There are holes in the part that fits on the cleaner pipe with the kit I have.

David
Old 6th Jan 2022, 5:20 pm   #11
Ken Taylor
Pentode

On closer inspection the Shark adapter also has holes.
Ken
Old 10th Jan 2022, 4:52 am   #12
avocollector
Heptode

Smile Re: Vacuum cleaner tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Taylor View Post
Hello and Happy New Year.

Over the weekend our Dyson burned out it's second motor and so a replacement machine was ordered - a Shark. It arrived today and with it was a set of tools which should be excellent for vintage radio cleaning. The valve is in the shot to indicate size. The Shark is also much quieter than the Dyson.

Ken
That is disgusting - shame on your Sir! as an electronics person you should have stripped down and rewound the burnt out motor like the you tube videos showing workers in pakistan doing it in mud floored huts. Then you could have put your own video up (mud floors optional) of the rebuild and feel virtuous about saving the planet's resources, restoring old technology, or saving a priceless family heirloom - like the repair shop people do - weekly!!

Just think will your descendents be able to point to an ancient Dyson and say 'our great grandfather repaired that back in the primitive days, true it never worked again but look at the beauty of it's simple lines etc.' Not at all!! and just because you want a modern vac that works!

Strong men in the UK will weep silently into their beer at this disclosure!!
Old 10th Jan 2022, 10:49 am   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I find an smallish paintbrush and the hose of one of my Henrys with nothing fitted held fairly close by does the trick for me.
Old 17th Jan 2022, 3:02 pm   #14
Ken Taylor
Pentode

Smile Re: Vacuum cleaner tools

Ken[/QUOTE]

That is disgusting - shame on your Sir! as an electronics person you should have stripped down and rewound the burnt out motor like the you tube videos showing workers in pakistan doing it in mud floored huts. Then you could have put your own video up (mud floors optional) of the rebuild and feel virtuous about saving the planet's resources, restoring old technology, or saving a priceless family heirloom - like the repair shop people do - weekly!!

Just think will your descendents be able to point to an ancient Dyson and say 'our great grandfather repaired that back in the primitive days, true it never worked again but look at the beauty of it's simple lines etc.' Not at all!! and just because you want a modern vac that works!

Strong men in the UK will weep silently into their beer at this disclosure!! [/QUOTE]

Sir,
Yes, you are quite right to shame me, I burn with guilt at the thought of discarding something which could be repaired with merely the facilities and expertise of the Repair Shop and a significant amount of time. I still have the original Dyson motor and now the replacement faulty Dyson motor which I carefully shall place on the shelf marked "Future Projects".

By the way, my descendants so far are both committed Henry fans.
Closed Thread