UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2009, 2:39 pm   #1
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

Default Unknown Make & Model

Can any one please help to identify a set which is missing the make & model info. [/SIZE][SIZE=3]The set was found in a wast bin, so I don't know it's history. I haven't started working on it yet as I would like to identify it first.

The set is of a simple wooden construction painted black & gold. Dimensions are width 17" height 8" & depth 8.5". Valve line-up
12K8 12K7 12Q7 50L6 35Z4. The tuning scale is marked "GL". Bands are MW & LW, the band switch is located at the back. Supply AC/DC 100/110 & 200/240.

The license plate reads :- This plate is issued by or with the authority of B.T.H. Co. EMI the GEC the Gramophone Company the Marconi Company, Murphy Radio and Philips.

Regards
Keith

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unkown 1.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	28235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unkown Back Cover.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	28236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unkown Inside 3.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	28237   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unkown Scale.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	28238  

Last edited by Dave Moll; 24th Aug 2009 at 4:36 pm. Reason: oversized font removed
Old 24th Aug 2009, 2:59 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Unknown Make & Model

Looks war time to me. The sort of thing that you'ld get in a factory for listening to Workers Playtime and Music While You Work on.

Many such sets were imported from the USA and upgraded for UK supply voltages.

I can't tell you the exact make and model, but it should be fairly easy to work on. Quite rare I think. Good find - it's amazing what people throw away....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 24th Aug 2009, 4:35 pm   #3
newlite4
Octode

This radio is from a manufacturer called "Good Listening" hence G L. They were always in a large metal case, normally painted cream. They were manufactured over a short period during the immiediate post war period and are relatively rare.
This is an especially exotic example, a considerable detatchment from their usual fare.
Neil
Old 24th Aug 2009, 6:36 pm   #4
Alan Stepney
Rest in Peace

From what I can recall, Good Listening never actually made radios, or anything else, they bought them in badged with the G-L name (or in some cases, with no name).
They then became a rental chain, ending up with 30+ shops throughout Hampshire, Sussex, area, with their main base at Wallisdown Rd, Bournemouth.

Plessey certainly made some radios for them, and whilst I dont know the qualities involved, they were only a small customer compared to many others.
Old 25th Aug 2009, 11:15 am   #5
kibble
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks guys for your comments.

Now that I've been given the lead on Good Listening I've done a search for threads re Good Listening & found some useful information about the company. I think my set is undoubtedly a Good Listening brand set.

It would be nice to identify the actual manufacturer. I'm confident the case was made in Britain, the back panel text supports this. Initially I thought the chassis might be of US manufacture especially as the valves are US types with a total heater voltage of 120 volts. I did a search for models with the same valve line-up only British sets match, even if I omitted the 50L6 & 35Z4, which might have been selected for the higher UK mains voltage. It seems that US manufacturers did not use the combination of 12K8 & 12K7, although it was used a lot by British manufacturers especially mid to late 1940's.

So I now think the chassis was of British manufacture, presumably one of the companies listed in the license plate, but which one?

Regards
Keith
Old 25th Aug 2009, 11:29 am   #6
Paul_RK
Dekatron

None of those - the license plate was a standard item fitted to all radios for a while no matter who made them, and this one certainly isn't by EMI, GEC, Murphy or Philips (BTH were long defunct as a radio manufacturer). The general look of the chassis and the wavechange switch at the rear - hence probably an afterthought - have me thinking it may after all have been sourced from America.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 25th Aug 2009 at 11:43 am.
Old 25th Aug 2009, 2:27 pm   #7
newlite4
Octode

The chassis is almost certainly that of a lend-lease set imported from the USA during the war, note the rear mounted LW/MW switch, possibly an Emerson. I suspect that they were fitted into these elaborate looking cabinets to make them more acceptableto UK users.
Neil