UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Jan 2021, 9:37 pm   #1
Ottawaboy
Diode

Default Avometer model 8 replacing rubber feet

Hello, I need some guidance in gaining access to replace rivets and rubber feet on back of unit. Have removed chassis, two machine screws holding back plate re: operating instructions, and two nuts in the centre of the case. Does the battery compartment have to come out to get at those rivets? Any assistance greatly appreciated.
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:43 pm   #2
The Philpott
Dekatron

Default Re: Avometer model 8 replacing rubber feet

Hi, which mark of Model 8 are we looking at here?
Dave
Old 15th Jan 2021, 11:50 pm   #3
Ottawaboy
Diode

The plate says model 8 only, maybe made in 1952, according to the serial number on the dial? I did mange to the bakelite enclosure out by a drop of oil on each corner of the metal case and prying with a small screwdriver. Came out slowly and now I can drill out old rivets and install new feet. Thanks for the reply.
Old 16th Jan 2021, 12:59 pm   #4
The Philpott
Dekatron

Ah, so quite an early one. A photo would be interesting! As it has a metal case (is it the basic aluminium or one of the steel ones painted in hammer finish?) you won't have to worry about cracking bakelite when drilling the rivets out.. the rivets are very hard steel though and nasty to drill out without wandering off-centre, or spinning them. Evil things.

The feet have an integral fabric mesh underneath, intended to hold them together for longer. I must admit on one of my older tatty meters with a metal case and rotted rubber feet, i have just removed them and shortened the remaining rivets so that they don't rattle around.

What have you done about replacement feet? The originals can't be found anywhere!

Dave
Old 16th Jan 2021, 3:54 pm   #5
Ottawaboy
Diode

Here is a picture of the outer metal box (painted black), the inner bakelite cabinet and chassis. For feet, I'll use just common black hole-through ones that I have on hand. Thanks for your email.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVO2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	224710  
Old 16th Jan 2021, 6:07 pm   #6
The Philpott
Dekatron

No problem! It looks like it might be one of the Model 8SX with 'potted' components to protect against humidity, or a Model 8 military derivative, hence the steel case over the bakelite inner. Neither particularly rare nor particularly common, but definitely heavy! A nice thing to have.
Dave
Closed Thread