UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 6th May 2011, 3:23 pm   #1
dustymott
Retired Dormant Member

Unhappy Ericsson N1014B Bakelite Line Cord Rewiring

Hi there, can someone help. I've just bought an Ericsson N1014B Bakelite phone and need some help rewiring the line cord. I've been on The BritishTelephones site where they give clear instruction if you know what they are referring to (connect blue wire to the 2uf capacitor), as I'm a complete novice I would like some photo's which would help me greatly or if someone could explain it to me. As I'm at a loss.

Regards Dustymott
Old 6th May 2011, 10:12 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1014B BakeLite Line Cord Rewiring

Are you able to post some pictures of the internals of your 'phone? If so, someone may be able to point you to what connections are what. Some members with better image manipulation facilities than I have may even be able to provide visual guides for connections.
Old 6th May 2011, 10:31 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1014B BakeLite Line Cord Rewiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustymott View Post
'as I'm a complete novice I would like some photo's which would help me greatly or if someone could explain it to me. As I'm at a loss.'
Does your telephone look like mine (below)? Are there four wires or three wires in the handset? I've converted my N1014A (ex-Telephone Rentals) to work on BT, but I'll need to dig my instrument out and photograph the terminal block for you.

So watch this space...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n1014.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	50666  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th May 2011, 9:18 pm   #4
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Ericsson N1014B Bakelite Line Cord Rewiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustymott View Post
Hi there, can someone help?
Don't know if this is any good to you, but attached are some pics of the terminal arrangement of my N1014B (Telephone Rentals) version, and a circuit diagram for conversion to the BT standard plug-and-socket system.

Note that I have not fitted a 3k3 resistor - it works well enough without one, but if you need to fit one, replace the link between terminals 1 and 2 with it.

The N1014B is really a 'cut-down' type 332 instrument with identical components, but mounted differently with them all affixed to one base-plate. The terminal block only has six connections and so does not offer the flexibility of having all the bell connections brought out to it.

Conversion is self-explanatory as shown. Link (with strap or resistor) T1 and T2. Cut the blue wire from one of the 2uF lugs on the four-terminal capacitor and solder the blue wire of your standard BT lead to it (pin 4 on the plug, 3 in the socket). Cover with a sleeve or tape.

Connect the white wire to terminal 1 (pin 2 on the plug, pin 5 on the socket).

Connect the red wire to terminal 3 (pin 5 on the plug, pin 2 on the socket).

For the handset, terminal 4 (green wire) goes to one side of the receiver. Terminal 5 (red wire) goes to the other side of the receiver and one side of the microphone. Terminal 6 (white wire) goes to the other side of the microphone.

Inside the mouthpiece, the white wire leads to the crescent spring connection that the outside of the mic sits on, whilst the red wire leads to the pin bridge to connect the rear of the mic. One leg of the receiver wires is connected here, as shown.

The green wire leads to the receiver terminal only. Both receiver connections are made in the mouthpiece. I expect your set-up will be similar, if not identical.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1014B_conversion.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	182.6 KB
ID:	50702   Click image for larger version

Name:	1014B_rear_view.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	50703   Click image for larger version

Name:	1014B_terminals.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	50704   Click image for larger version

Name:	mic.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	50705  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 7th May 2011, 10:26 pm   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by russell_w_b View Post
Cut the blue wire from one of the 2uF lugs
A small correction (Bob's Telephone Page is correct). It isn't a blue wire, it's a red/orange wire. I connected a small section of blue wire to mine to 'tame' the nylon fronds on the BT lead, thence to the red/orange wire.

It doesn't matter how you physically make the connection, as long as it is as per my modified circuit diagram.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 8th May 2011, 9:41 pm   #6
dustymott
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks everyone, that has been a great help, although I seem to have items missing and disconnected, so more help will be required as soon as I get some photo's uploaded.

Regards Dustymott
Closed Thread